Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
pdimarzio
Accepted Solution

Need some options on how to restore the X200

My daughter went off to school and completely screwed up this machine.  To make a long story short, to fix a networking problem she had a friend wipe the drive and reinstall Win7 (an unregistered copy, no less!).  So the thing is basically a brick right now.

When I use the Thinkvantage button on boot I don't get an option to restore, just resume startup, enter BIOS or boot from a temporary device.  With Windows Explorer I see that there is a Lenovo partition (D) with two folders: showroom and SWTOOLS.  But all the Lenovo apps on the C drive are gone ...

This machine originally shipped with Vista and I got the Win7 upgrade DVD later.  I don't have access to the external DVD drive at the moment (she forgot to leave that with me and the computer) but when I get it I'll see if running the DVD does anything (not expecting much from that though).

So ... any thoughts?  Might the H partition hold a restore, and if so how can I get to it?  I do have a proper Windows 7 DVD and a valid license from the Win7 upgrade DVD, I suppose once I get the drive I can try a clean install from that and then locate all the x200 drivers and such but I'm REALLY hoping there is an easier solution.  Thanks.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Need some options on how to restore the X200

[ Edited ]

You can install Windows 7 from an USB-Stick:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/installing-windows-7-on-a-netbook

Download Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool

Legal Windows 7 - download links from Microsoft partner "Digitalrive" you will find here

If you want/need to recover previous your Windows Vista from recovery-partition make the recovery partition bootable:

• Download XBOOT (Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is needed)
  • Download PartedMagic
  • Run XBOOT and drag and drop the PartedMagic ISO-image into XBOOT's main window
  • Click "Create USB" - "Grub for DOS" -> a bootable USB-stick will be created.
  • Boot from USB-stick, select "PartedMagic"
  • After PartedMagic is up run Partitioning tool (GParted)
  • Right-click the recovery partition, select "Manage flags" from context menu and mark "boot"
  • reboot from hard drive and recover Vista.
  • create the bootable USB-stick with Windows 7 USB Tool
  • boot Windows 7 installation from USB-stick
--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
pdimarzio

Thanks mornsgrans - those are good options.  I think I'll first see if I can recover the original Vista install, that way I'll get all the original software and drivers.  If it turns out that partition is damaged or not bootable I'll try the Win7 stick install.

I should be able to use the Win7 key that came with the x200 upgrade CD, right?  I hope, anyway, as I don't want to purchase another!

Guru
Mornsgrans

pdimarzio schrieb:

I should be able to use the Win7 key that came with the x200 upgrade CD, right?  I hope, anyway, as I don't want to purchase another!

Yes, Sir :smileywink:

My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
pdimarzio

This post got me back in business - many thanks!  Initially I wanted to restore the factory settings (Vista), then run the W7 upgrade CD when I had the external player back home.  But XBOOT wouldn't run due to some missing ActiveX components so I went for the clean W7 install from USB.  Worked like a charm.  I was even able to re-install Office off a stick.

From another thread I found a link to the ThinkVantage System Update utility, which I ran and installed everything it had to offer.  This got the proper drivers and Lenovo utilities back on board.  So I have a fully functioning WIndows system with wireless networking again.

I don't think the tablet functions are working, though.  Granted I don't know how to use them so will have to wait until my daughter has the machine in hand to know for sure.  Would there be some other software/drivers I'd need to install aside from what comes from System Update that is specific to the X200 tablet capability?  Or ... how can I test to see if this is working?  I don't know anything about this machine, never used a tablet.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Maybe the Tablet button driver is missing:

- 32 Bit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013575

- 64 Bit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014150

My ThinkPad-Collection
Paper Tape
pdimarzio

After I posted about the tablet function I found the button updates hiding in the optional Windows Update options (I had just applied all the MANY critical service updates and hadn't looked at what they considered optional).  Machine is now fully restored - my daughter thanks you for your help!!

Paper Tape
ctech

I have exactly the same problem.  When I use the ThinkVantage button on boot, I don't get the Rescue and Recovery screen.  Instead I only have a few options: resume startup, enter BIOS or boot from a temporary device.  When I enter windows, I'm missing many applications and I get error messages.

Is there a way to reset my x200 back to factory settings?