Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
orienteering
Accepted Solution

New Lenovo battery doesn't power X61 tablet although it is fully charged

[ Edited ]

My old battery was barely holding a charge so I ordered a new 8 cell battery from Lenovo. It arrived yesterday. I put it in and charged it and worked with the tablet. When I unplugged it from the AC to move to a different room the screen went black. The Thinkpad had lost power completely despite the new battery. So I plugged it back in again and looked into the Power Mangager which showed the following information.

As you can see the battery is brand new, has 0 cycles on it, is charged with 96%.

Obviously the Thinkpad is connected to it and can read all the data, but the battery doesn't supply it with power. Does anyone know what to do? Is the battery defect? Do I need to send it back for a replacement? Or is there a fix?

Thanks for looking into this! Here is a screenshot Link to picture which shows the following

Battery Details

Remaining percentage:            96 %

Remaining time:                         -

Remaining capacity:                  63.31 Wh

Full charge capaciy:                   66.23 Wh

Current:                                         0.00 A

Voltage:                                         16.18 V

Wattage:                                       -

Temperature:                              30 C

Cycle count:                                 0

Manufacture name:                    Panasonic

Manufacture date:                       2010-05-24

First used date:                           2010-07

SerialNumber:                             119

Bar-code number:                       1ZH5R05R03L

FRU part number:                       42T4662

Device chemistry:                        Li-Ion

Design capacity:                          66.24 Wh

Design voltage:                            14.40 V

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 238

Re: New Lenovo battery doesn't power X61 tablet although it is fully charged

do you still have your old battery?  if you do, plug it in and see it the laptop works on just the battery, even for just a minute.  if it does, i would say that you have something wrong with new battery.  if it doesn't, then look at the connections on the new battery.  see if any of them are bent .  the connections to power the laptop are different from the ones that read the information.  

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
orienteering

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I still had the old battery. There seems to be something wrong with the new battery. Lenovo send me a replacement which works and I noticed that the replacement is identical with my old battery (ASM PN 42T5209) and the instructions that came with it said explicitly to use only PN ...209 or PN ...205. I guess these are the 8-cell and 4-cell versions for my X61 tablet. The other new battery that caused the problem had PN ...211. I'm guessing that it is for a different laptop with the same form factor, but different technical specs.

Lenovo was very quick about this - they send me the new battery and a return label for the other new battery which I gave to the UPS driver.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 238

i'm glad you got it figured out.

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество