Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
manhattanite
Accepted Solution

New x220t suddenly shutting off in the middle of work!

My new x220t is randomly shutting off in the middle of working with it. It's always when running on battery, but the battery is always well over 50% charged when it happens. I'll be in the middle of a task (email, powerpoint, whatever) and the machine just suddenly goes black.  A couple of days ago I was walking my boss through some number and BAM! it just shut completely off (very inconvenient). Once off, it will not turn back on and the battery won't even charge (if connecting the AC adapter) until I remove the battery and put it back in.  Holding the power button for 10-20 second does nothing either.

At first I suspected overheating issues, but this is happening even when the laptop is cool to the touch and I'm not doing anything very CPU-intensive. When the machine warms up, I can hear the fan spinning up faster. And the random shutdowns occur even when the fan isn't running (presumably because the machine isn't getting too hot yet).

I've had the laptop about a week and it has shut-down about 7-8 times so far. Lenovo tech support wasn't much help. Said I would just need to send the machine in so they could do some diagnosis. I had to wait over 2 months from the time I ordered until Lenovo shipped it and am really not wanting to send it in for 1 - 2 weeks when they have no idea what's going on. Could it be a battery issue? Has anyone else seen anything like this on the x220t? It's the 6-cell extended battery. Thanks.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: New x220t suddenly shutting off in the middle of work!

download HWinfo32 and see what temperature your CPU is running at, also try to update the BIOS firmware if you can.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
manhattanite

I'm at the latest BIOS version (first thing I updated). I also have all the latest Lenovo drivers (downloaded from their website) and even applied the digitizer firmware update. I'll get that utility, but I don't really see how it can be an overheating issue.  It only happens when running on battery power, never when connected via the A/C adapter. And the laptop presumably gets much hotter when running on A/C because I have it set to conserve battery when not plugged in.

Also, if it's an overheating issue, why would it require removing the battery and reinstalling before I can turn it back on? Even if I let it sit for 3 hours, I still can't turn it back on until I remove and reinstall the battery. Thanks for your response.

Paper Tape
manhattanite

Follow-up on the overheating thought -- I just charged the laptop to 100% charge, unplugged it, then started the OCCT 4.1.1 stress test program, which pegs the CPU at 100% until I stop it.  It has been running for almost an hour and the battery is just about dead. HWInfo64 is currently showing the CPU temp at 84 degrees C, which is extremely hot in my opinion, but the laptop is still running and has not shut down or powered off.  All the random times it has shutdown so far, I was never doing anything this resource intensive. Any other thoughts?

I've tried jiggling the battery (which is very loose) but can't case the shutdown that way either. Can't figure out what could be causing it.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

84 degrees C is within the normal operating temp, so it is not the overheating that is causing the problem.

Given the current situation you are facing, i think it is advisable that you seek warranty service for the machine.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
manhattanite

Yeah, to add to that I was running HWInfo and logging data and it shutdown on me twice last night. The last entry in the HWInfo log the first time showed CPU core temperatures of 59 and 60 degrees so not really hot at all.  After removing battery, reinstalling and starting back up, it again shutdown less than a minute after I logged in so I just gave up for the night.

Thanks for the advice. I'm wishing I had waited for the Dell XT3 to come back into stock now. Oh well.

Token Ring
bladebarrier

Random reboots can often be a sign of a failing memory stick. 

My suggestion would be to download memtest x86, create a bootable cd/thumb for it, and let it run for at least a few hours straight.

If you get any error messages, there's your problem.

Paper Tape
manhattanite

bladebarrier,

I can try that as I do have a memtest CD, but it's not a reboot. It's a complete shut-down - power off. As if the battery and power cord were both just suddenly disconnected. On top of that, the computer will not turn back on at all until I remove both the battery and the power cord.  Seems like if it was a memory issue, the computer would either just give a BSOD, reboot, or turn off but let me turn it back on without having to eject the battery first.

Token Ring
bladebarrier

Sorry, you're exactly right. That's unlikely to be a memory issue. My apologies for not reading the issue thoroughly.

Have you tried removing the battery and running it solely off of the AC adapter?

If it specifically requires you to remove the battery in order to get it to power back on, that would be my first point of troubleshooting it.

Serial Port
bouvrie

Did you check the SYSTEM Event log? Perhaps some component blurbs out something before it kills the PC?