Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
globalkiwi
Accepted Solution

PATA or SATA for X41 T

I want to add a HDD to my X41T via the UltraBay port on the X4 port, it seems like a caddy for the X4 Ultrabase will do the trick.  So far so good, but I can't seem to find out whether it should be PATA or SATA.  Can anyone help - or point me in the right direction.  Seems amazing that such a fundamental piece of information is so hard to track down.

(Apologies for the x-posts, getting a little frustrated here!)

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Re: PATA or SATA for X41 T

PATA. When these babies rolled off the assembly line, the idea of going SATA for the ultrabay had yet to occur to anyone in IBM or Lenovo...
Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Punch Card
globalkiwi

Ok, I seem to keep getting conflicting information on this.  I know the internal HDD is both 1.8 & PATA but I thought it was possible to plug either a SATA or PATA HDD (with the respective caddy) into the UltraBay slot (as those connections are standard).  Is this incorrect?
Lenovo Staff
Soap

Yes, you are correct.  It depends on the caddy, as there is a caddy for PATA hard drives and one for SATA hard drives.  The ultrabase connector is PATA, on the caddy.
Punch Card
globalkiwi

Wonderful - but just to be clear: if I load a SATA HDD into a SATA Ultrabay caddy, pop it into the X4 dock, I will be able to access it from my X41 Tablet?
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

The SATA to PATA converter chip on the SATA Ultrabay Caddy won't work in the X4 dock. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
globalkiwi

Ok, yet more conflicting information.  It's amazing how hard it is to figure this out!  Can I plug a SATA HDD (in a SATA caddy) into the UltraSlim Bay drive of an X4 dock or not?!   In this thread alone, directly conflicting opinion ...

@ lead_org: can you expand on this - do you have a link, example, experience?  Your answer seems to directly contradict that given by Soap.

Punch Card
thinkpadpro

You can only use a PATA hard drive. Yes the ICH Bridge is SATA, but all drive controllers are PATA on the x41 tablet. Thats all there is to it.
X41T: Dead from a power surge during a BIOS Flash!
Punch Card
globalkiwi

This is confusing as the machine specs imply an IDE drive controller but the internal HDD has a PATA to SATA bridge/converter.  Everywhere I ask this question, I get conflicting responses!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

This was listed in the help regarding the SATA ultrabay caddy in www.thinkwiki.org. I never tried it personally, but maybe some of the mod or guru have tried it, whom could give you a better answer. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft