Search instead for 
Do you mean 
GKj
Paper Tape
GKj
Accepted Solution

Pen Functions stopped reacting

Hello All,

I have a X201 Tablet in which all the pen functions stopped working (that is: Eraser, side button, tap and hold for rightclick Etc) beside the very basic function of writing on the screen. Touch functions seems to work fine, though.

I tried installing various drivers from Lenovo and Wacom with no luck, so I thought it might be a hardware problem, maybe a pen battary (is there one?)

any ideas or known solutions?

Thanks 

GKj

Punch Card
mariol90

Re: Pen Functions stopped reacting

I would try uninstalling ALL wacom/pen/touch drivers, then try installing the drivers from lenovo's site for your computer. the pen does not use a battery, and it sounds like a software problem since writing on the screen works and tap/hold for right click does not.

I'm also having a similar problem but with an x61 tablet, and the pen input doesn't work at all. The computer won't recognize that I'm trying to use the pen. The hardware does show up in device manager and it says it cannot start, after I install the drivers. I'm currently trying to see if it'll work with Vista business 32-bit.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 354
Solutions: 238

Hi all and welcome to the forum,

A digitizer pen does have a battery in it. It powers an ultrasound transducer adjacent to the writing tip.  The pen is sealed and the battery is not replaceable.  

I haven't had tablets long enough to wear down a pen, but I hear that they last anywhere from 3 to 5 years.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
mariol90

[ Edited ]

http://www.wacom.com.au/rsi/img/rsi_ap.pdf
"Using Wacom's patented battery-free technology, our pens are cordless and battery-free providing optimum weight and balance for minimal strain on muscles" 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom#Technology
"Wacom tablets use a patented electromagnetic resonance technology.[14] Since the tablet provides power to the pen through resonant coupling, no battery or cord is required for the pointing device. As a result, there are no batteries inside the pen (or the accompanying puck), which makes them slimmer."

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/07/10/n-trig-vs-wacom-a-dual-digitizer-duel/
"Finally, all the current N-Trig tablets are using battery-powered pens. This adds a bit of weight to the pen, but not much, and I preferred the heft over the feather-light Wacom pens. The AAAA battery supposedly lasts for thousands of hours, and though uncommon, it is a standard size. I spotted it at Rite-Aid and CVS, so no need to special order one when it runs out. N-Trig does make a digitizer that can work with a battery-free pen, but vendors don’t seem to be going for that. Wacom pens are always battery-free and last for years."

Lenovo never used N-Trig in their tablet PCs, only wacom, which never used batteries in their pens. I don't mind being proved wrong if you can show me that their wacom pens use a battery.

edit: Here's an announcement from the X41 tablet:
http://forums.tabletpctalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2094
"Wacom, the leading pen tablet manufacturer, announced today that its Penabled(R) cordless, battery-free pen technology has been selected for the Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet - the first convertible Tablet PC from the ThinkPad portfolio. " 

topmahof

Mariol90,

I had an old tc1000 that had a pen with a battery in it. I figured all the pens had batteries in them.  My bad.

Learn something new everyday, right?

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
mariol90

Ah alright. apparently the tc1000 used a finepoint digitizer, which used an AAAA battery (just like n-trig), and the tc1100 and after used wacom.

That at least says there isn't a battery issue with the pen.

I'm currently letting System Update install all the lenovo software on a fresh install of vista, to see where that takes me. with only a fresh install, the pen input does not work, and that may be expected. 

topmahof

I only ever had Vista on one Thinkpad and it wasn't a tablet. I've used the Lenovo xp tablet restore discs on x41Ts and the pen worked right away.

I've put Windows 7 on an x41T and a Tc4400 and the pen worked right away.

If Vista doesn't work right, you could probably download 7 just as a test for the pen.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-...

Dave

Punch Card
mariol90

the laptop came with vista business originally, so I figured i'd try that first. everything on the laptop works properly except for the wacom digitizer, it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". it also does not mention if pen input is available in Computer properties.

I'll give windows 7 a try and see if it shows up there. Thank you. 

Punch Card
mariol90

same error message, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)", windows says "Pen Input Available". using windows 7 64-bit and wacom and lenovo's 64-bit drivers.

this computer is still under warranty, should I just contact Lenovo and have it sent in?

topmahof

I would say at this point, that would be the best thing to do.  

Dave