Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
shalla
Accepted Solution

Pen not functioning in Extended Desktop mode - X220

I have been searching all of the boards and additional websites to see if I can find an answer to my issue but have been unsuccessful.

Running in extended desktop mode with my external monitor as the primary, the touch works as input on the laptop but the pen does not.  When I put the pen to the screen of the tablet the pen icon appears on the external monitor screen only.  I have gone to the Tablet PC Settings Setup to set up the pen (and hit "Enter" to change the screen for the input) but touching the pen to the Lenovo screen does nothing to set this option.

I feel if the touch screen will work in extended desktop mode, then the pen should and that I'm just missing something.

I'm upgrading from the X60 and the workaround that I used for that tablet was to have two presets - one for extended desktop for the external monitor for everyday use and one for the laptop screen only for when I needed to use the tablet function while docked.  That was a good workaround (although I would see the BSoD on a fairly regular basis) but I was hoping for more with the X220.

Specs:

Lenovo X220

Windows 7 Professional

HPL2045W External Monitor

Extended desktop

Let me know if any more information would be helpful. 

Paper Tape
shalla

Re: Pen not functioning in Extended Desktop mode - X220

I've actually been able to answer my own question by looking at all of the other available options on the settings of the X220.

In the Control Panel under Hardware and Sound I did not scroll past the section that showed the Pen and Touch and Tablet PC Settings.  I assumed that this was the place to make such modificaitons to get the pen to work appropriately in Extended Desktop Mode.  However, had I scolled further down the list of settings I woudl have see that there is also a section for Pen Tablet Properties.  Within this I went to Calibrate (while having these pop-ups open on the tablet screen) and low and behold the pen functioned for the tablet, calibrated itself, and now the issue has been rectified.

I hope that this might help someone else out there.

And I'm completely thrilled to have the option of using the tablet for marking up drawings, signing documents, etc. all while docked with my monitor in Extended Desktop mode.  Exactly one of the things I was hoping that the move to the X220 would rectify.

Blue Screen Again
uk33unuk

Hei Shalla,

I have a similar problem, I have been looking around the net for a while now and can't find a solution.

When I connect an external monitor to my lenovo x220t and show on both screens the same desktop, the my pen works perfectly fine in windows journal. However, if I extend the desktop to my external monitor to have other documents opened and write on the tablet, I can still write, but all other functionalities with the pen don't work (lasso, rubber etc.). At the beginning I thought they didn't work at all but after a while i realized that trying to erase something at one point caused windows journal to erase text a few inches away.

I can still erase and do all the rest by using an external mouse, but as you can imagine is really a pain, and the quality of the handwriting is poorer, too.

Hope some of you can help me with this issue!

Blue Screen Again
uk33unuk

I almost forgot, clearly I have tryed calibrating the pen several times, but this still does not resolve the issue
What's DOS?
bencrox

This was useful in solving a similar problem on the Thinkpad Yoga S1.

here you needed to choose set up and click on the screen and it sorts itself out nicely

Thanks