Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Icarus
Accepted Solution

Recovery disks installed wrong version of Windows XP. HELP!! :'(

I have an aging IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad X61. This week a series of problems it was having started to seem insurmountable, and I decided to backup my files, restore to factory condition, and have done with it. I'm starting to regret that choice.

The recovery disks that came with my computer installed Windows XP Professional edition, not Windows XP Tablet edition. In all respects now, my tablet is just a regular Thinkpad with a weird hinge. It doesn't recognize the digitizer pen, nor does it recognize the touchscreen, even though both are listed on the device manager, both have up-to-date drivers, and both claim to be functioning fine. Also, no Microsoft Journal, which I desperately need, and no sticky notes.

Please tell me there's a free way to fix this!

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Recovery disks installed wrong version of Windows XP. HELP!! :'(

Hi Icarus, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

ThinkPads don't normally ship with recovery disks. You should have been prompted make your own when the system was new. Apparently your vendor included the wrong set :smileysad:.

Either contact your vendor, or call Lenovo support to get the XP Tablet Edition disks (you may have to pay ~$50).

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
What's DOS?
Icarus

Thanks for the reply, bananaman.

If I take this as an opportunity/occasion to upgrade to Windows 7, am I correct in understanding that Windows 7 *will* support all those tablet functions?

Does Windows 7 include Journal? Stickynotes? I guess particular apps are the least of my worries; I'm just wondering.
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Tablet PC support, Journal, and Sticky Notes are included in the Home Premium and higher versions of Windows 7.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
What's DOS?
Icarus

Thanks for your help, bananaman. I went ahead and upgraded, and that solved my problem. It's a shame I had to spend any money at all when I had what I thought were recovery disks, but there you have it.