Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
kvirtanen

SMART failure - Will Lenovo clone it or hand me a blank one?

[ Edited ]

As the subject says, my X201T's HDD is about to be shot according to Lenovo Toolbox. I'm backing up files as I write.

A question:

If I take the computer to Lenovo Service BEFORE the HDD fails, will they clone it under warranty or only replace with a blank one, making me have to start all over with installing programs etc.?

Kind regards,

Kimmo

http://vanhavirta.fi/
802.11n
kvirtanen

Progress updates

[ Edited ]

Tried the test with Seagate's SeaTools and HD Tune Pro and confirmed the errors. It gave me instructions to download the DOS version which might be able to repair the problems. We'll see...

Quote:
Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read.  Seagate recommends that you run SeaTools for DOS, which has the ability to repair most problem sectors.  SeaTools for DOS may be able to save you from the inconvenience and down time of exchanging the drive.

802.11n
kvirtanen

FIXED for now

[ Edited ]

I got it fixed myself - for now.

After using UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to make a bootable USB stick with the Ultimate Boot CD ISO (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) I was able run the SeaTools for DOS that is included in the ISO.

I ran the long test (took 60mins for a 320GB drive) which concluded that there were 8 errors on the disk. It was indeed able to repair them and now the SMART Short Self Test passes without errors. I tested the drive in SeaTools for Windows and Lenovo Toolbox.

EDIT: SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) also provides really good SMART analyses, even comparing them with a database of other users' results. According to it everything is back to normal, no errors.

HD Tune Pro still highlights the SMART error ID C4 as yellow, indicating a warning, but the C5 is now gone. I can only assume that the nature of the error (it's an event counter, "a number of attempts" so to speak) makes it persist.

I'm glad Lenovo Toolbox has these scheduled hardware checks and I plan to leave them scheduled.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

Re: FIXED for now

I doubt if Lenovo will clone the disc for you.  They might just put the preload back on the new one.  This is something I would take up with them, though.  I would think that you would have to clone it yourself.  It's good you did backups, did you burn recovery discs?  You could use the recovery discs to restore from your backups.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
NeuroKnight

Re: SMART failure - Will Lenovo clone it or hand me a blank one?

Glad you were able to solve the problem on your own.

When I had problems with the HDD on my last Lenovo under the standard warranty they sent me a new HDD with a box and return label for the old one, this allowed me to clone the drive myself.  My understanding is the normal procedure is to install new HDD with restored copy of OS, Lenovo will not clone or back-up your damaged drive, this is once again based on my old system (X61T) under standard one year warranty.  Most service centers will clone the drive for you but it's almost never covered under warranty in my experience (Sony, Toshiba, IBM, Lenove).

Hope this helps in the future.

802.11n
kvirtanen

Hi guys,

thanks for the good advice! I'm using Genie Timeline Pro to keep a backup of all the most important files. I have a 32GB SDHC card permanently lodged in the internal card reader working as a backup drive.

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to burn the recovery media onto a DVD. I'm not sure what was the reason, but at some point the recovery partition became unreadable or seemed to be empty. I formatted it before I could burn the discs and I'm now using it as a scratch partition for Photoshop.

One more thing: If one of you could summarize the steps needed to clone a hard disk, or point me to a nice tutorial about it, I'd be most grateful. Maybe when a similar sitation strikes in the future I'll be better prepared.

Regards,

Kimmo

topmahof

http://www.seagate.com/support/discwizard/dw_ug.en.pdf

Seeing as how you're using seagate drives, you might as well use their free cloning tool.

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
topmahof

There is another way.  You don't say which os you're using but if you're using windows 7, in control panel, under backup and restore there's options to create a system repair disc which is a boot disc to restore from a system image, which you should have anyway in case you ever have to do a repair.  There's also an option to create a system image. These two items will restore the contents of your old hard drive to your new hard drive.

I always put the system image on an external hard drive.  The system repair disc I put on a dvd disc and it can be used on any computer that has any version of windows 7 on it to do a repair.

Using these though will wipe the drive and install windows 7 on the whole hard drive, it will get rid of any other partitions that you might be using.

Dave

802.11n
kvirtanen

Thanks for the tips!

The point about losing the partitions is an important one since I've got Arch Linux and Windows 7 on separate partitions.

So, if I understood correctly, in order for the boot disc to work, the system has to have the OS - WIN7 - installed. I wonder if the Seagate's solution (I haven't read the PDF just yet) requires that? Maybe it uses its own boot disc.

topmahof

Using the windows 7 repair disc:  Blank hard drive  in computer.  Boot up the system repair disc, it will load some files and then it will allow you to install 7 from the image you created.  

The only thing is with that is when you make the system image from within windows 7 it will only make an image of windows 7, it won't make an image of your other partition with linux. So if you use that way to install 7 it will put 7 on the whole new drive.

Cloning software will copy your old hard drive sector by sector to the new hard drive.  I've never used any of the free cloning software out there, a few years ago I bought a apricorn drivewire and I use that.  The free stuff should work the same.  But cloning will copy everything, partitions and all to the new drive.

Usually, when you clone a drive the new drive has to be in the laptop and the old drive has to be in an external hard drive adapter attached by usb.  Then you have to have a cd drive also attached to boot the cloning software which you create from the site. (Seagate).  I didn't read the pdf either but they might want you to reverse the drives, I've just never had much luck cloning that way.

Dave