Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
jwynn9154

Screen orientation default

[ Edited ]

My X200t has developed a weird problem. When used in laptop mode, it boots into my standard landscape orientation, but then switches to portrait orientation immediately after I enter my login infornation.  I am able to switch back to primary landscape by pressing the screen orientation button three times, but would like to avoid the aggravation. Any ideas on how to set the default screen orientation?

Thanks.

Jim Wynn

802.11n
wditters

Re: Screen orientation default

Same issue here (W7 Enterprise x64). It has been a few weeks now that the X200 tablet boots in the wrong orientation. After logging in, the orientation automatically corrects itself.

The problem developed spontaneously and switching graphics drivers has not corrected this. Downgrading the Airbag Protection drivers didn't help either.

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Punch Card
crcline

I have the exact same problem with the screen display oreintation rotating 90 after bootup to the login screeen.  I spent a couple hours looking for setting in Windows or the display drivers and could find no setting that controls this. 

I then contacted Lenovo support.  The first tech could not resolve the problem and promised someone would call me back.  No call back after over 48 hours.  I called again and after waiting for 15 minutes+ for a senior tech, the call was dropped (dial tone).  I give up.  Lenovo's tech support is the worst I have ever dealt with.

I am also trying to get someone at Lenovo (sales or tech support) to tell me how I can buy a integrated WWAN module with GPS for use with Verizon Mobile Broadband.  Qualcomm Gobi makes such a chip  (Gobi 1000 and Gobi 2000), but I believe the WWAN module offered as aftermarket (P/N 57Y4485) is a different Gobi product that does not have GPS,  In any case both tech support and sales are clueless about this issue as well.

Punch Card
larsm

I don't know whether you've tried this nor whether it works, but there is a setting which controls in which order your screen rotates.

Open Control Panel, then Hardware and Sound, then look under the submenu Tablet PC Settings and click Choose the order of how your screen rotates.

It opens a window named Tablet PC Settings, in the Display tab, right under the button to calibrate there's a link to change the order etc.

Hope this helps.

802.11n
wditters

Nope that has not helped. Problem is quite persistant. When powering on the system in regular notebook mode it starts up in a nromal landscape setting. Then, asif  by magic, the screen orientation switches to portrait prior to logon. At that point I haven't touched the system yet.

When from that point on I log on, again without doing anything else, the system suddenly flips back to landscape ...

(Booting up in tablet mode works fine as well as auto-screen rotate btw)

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Carbon Touch | i7-3667U | 8Gb | 256Gb | HD 4000 | 14HD+ | WWAN | W8.1 Pro RTM x64 |
Paper Tape
radar

Unfortunately, my x200t has now succumbed to the same fault last week or so.  I have had this machine for 9 months now without an issue.  Did you ever get a fix for this?  Should I try Lenovo support (I'm still under warranty)?

Paper Tape
radar

Ah HAH!!!   A eureka moment.  I worked it out. 

If you think like a dumb x200t, then you can do it too. 

It goes like this.... close your eyes and think "I'm a stupid x200t...". 

"Dah... someone switched me on..."

"Oh... I'm in tablet mode..."  even though we real people know it isn't.

"Switch to portrait mode..."

"Er... dumbass user thinks I'm not in portrait mode... switches my rotation.... what a dumbass..."

"Ok... you logged in...and because you are in landscape mode, that's not my issue... I'll hand over to some other program..."  and btw, this other program knows better!!!

So, the answer is ... you agree with the dumb x200t....

Bootup like normal in laptop mode and let the screen rotate to portrait automatically....

Now... here comes the smart bit.... DO NOT LOG ON!

Flip to tablet mode, then flip back to laptop mode.... and... voila... the x200t thinks it's in laptop mode.

Next important step...do not log on... just reboot and all will be fixed!

What's DOS?
theorist

Thank you so much. I was having exactly this problem - signed up to join the community to ask this very question only to find the answer. Fixed it for me.

Fanfold Paper
jimre

Perfect - thanks!  Had the same problem on my X201t.