Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
michin

ThinkPad X41 reboots after undocking

Hi. I have a ThinkPad with docking station, running Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

After undocking it reboots itself. This happens i) immediately I use the 'pen' in tablet mode, or ii) randomly if not in tablet mode.

Makes no difference whether 'hard' undocked with the blue button on the docking station, or 'soft' via the 'Start' menu.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 238

Re: ThinkPad X41 reboots after undocking

Hi michin and welcome to the community,

What happens if you use the safely remove hardware icon in the taskbar?

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
michin

Hi. Thanks for your interest in my problem (it's been driving me nuts for so long - I'd be sooo happy if someone can help).

I'm afraid I don't have a Safely Remove Hardware icon on my taskbar. I think I know the one you mean (green oblong, yeah?) but it's not there when just the Tablet is docked.

topmahof

[ Edited ]

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/comphelp/msg0522575127826.html

That icon disappears sometimes.  Try to get it back by using this, and then try it and see if it works.

Lenovo has a quick eject utility for docks, I'll see if I can find it.

Does xp have all its updates?  SP3 and all that?

Here's that utility.  Make sure when you push the undock button, you wait for the light to change before you undock.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-44035

Dave 

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
michin

Thanks again.
I've loaded the Lenovo quick eject utility, so will see if that cures the problem.
Showing SP2 for XP; it's a work PC so I'll need to get our IT Support bods to update to latest pack if the problem persists. Do you happen to know if my particular problem was fixed as part of SP3?
topmahof

Don't know specifically, but a lot of utilities and apps won't work without SP3. Once SP3 is on there, Windows will give you a lot of updates. 

Dave

Paper Tape
michin

I'm beginning to suspect a connection isssue with the battery, due to i) the random nature of the re-boot, and ii) it seems to happen when you touch the keyboard. It's just like switching off momentarily.

Are there any known issues with poor battery connections?

topmahof

When it reboots, does it give you the message,"windows has not shut down properly"?

Check the event logs.