Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
xyster

Touchpad does not work even after format - x220t

Hi there,

I've had my X220 tablet for about 10 months and it has been great.  For the last month however, the touchpad and touchpoint have become flaky.  When rebooted or coming out of standby, the touchpoint/touchpad often did not work; after resetting a few times, i would work, but then stop working again when the system when into standby mode.

I thought this was a driver issue, but uninstalling and reinstalling to the newest drivers did nothing.  I have also updated/reset the BIOS.

I have more recently have not been able to get the touchpad working at all now and relying on just the touchscreen for input is very frustrating. 

When Windows 8 CP came out this week, I decided to give the computer a fresh format and reinstall Windows --- maybe that would resolve the issue. No luck.  The touchpoint/touchpad did not work even in Windows 8.

I read around a bit and have tried disabling JUST the touchpad in the BIOS, and amazingly, the touchpoint will work fine when I do that.  When I disable just the touchpoint or leaving both enabled, neither the touchpad or touchpoint will work.

As far as I can tell from what I have been able to diagnose, the touchpad is damaged and is causing a conflict with the touchpoint when enabled.  I am not sure of this, but it is my belief now.

Are there solutions out there for me?  I do have 2 months left on my warranty, but I hope to keep mailing my notebook in for support as a last resort.

thank you,

steve

Guru
Audois

Re: Touchpad does not work even after format - x220t

xyster wrote:

When Windows 8 CP came out this week, I decided to give the computer a fresh format and reinstall Windows --- maybe that would resolve the issue. No luck.  The touchpoint/touchpad did not work even in Windows 8.

If you are ready to reinstall Windows, try this method:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/My-X220t-Clean-Install-Method/td-p/6612...

If after that your trackpoint/touchpad still don't work, I think one of them (or both) is defective.

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
Fanfold Paper
xyster

Thank you for the reply.

I have done two clean installs now, one with Windows 7 Retail and one with the new Windows 8 CP ISO.  I did the install via a USB flash drive onto a fresh partition..  The problem I am having persists however.

The TouchPoint will work if I disable just the TouchPad in the BIOS, but neither will work if I enable the TouchPad in the BIOS.   The problem persisted during and after the installation.

I fear this is a hardware defect.  I guess I will have to try and get it warrantied.   dang.

Guru
Audois

xyster wrote:

I fear this is a hardware defect.  I guess I will have to try and get it warrantied.   dang.

Yes, you're probably right. That said, I don't understand why you disable the TouchPad in the Bios. You just have to press Fn+F8, open the UltraNav tab, and deselect the TouchPad checkbox.

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
Fanfold Paper
xyster

The Fn+F8 UltraNav utility doesn't work to fix this problem, even if I use it to disable just the touchpad and not the touchpoint.  I assume the hardware conflict is caused before or during Windows startup.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Reset BIOS either by pulling the BIOS-battery for a few seconds or by pressing F9-load defaults - F10 - yes and turn off.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Fanfold Paper
quangtranhong

hello,
now I have the same problem too. both touchpad and trackpoint don't work. they are still alive sometimes, but if my lap enters hibernate or sleep mode, they're dead again. I tried all method xyster mentioned above, re-install windows, bios, driver... but no help. does anyone could give me a solution here? the weird thing here is both touchpad and trackpoint are dead at the same time, while they are on different devices. trackpad on the hand palm below, whereas trackpoint on the keyboad mainboard. keyboard still working properly