Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
MKaram

Re: Another x60t battery failure (lost both of them) post recall expiration, what are my options?

I've created a thread just to catalog who has battery failures and the corresponding FRU's.

It may be useful if people post their numbers there

Ctrl-Alt-Del
kash007

Re: Another x60t battery failure (lost both of them) post recall expiration, what are my options?

MKaram: Can you post a link to the thread here?

Fanfold Paper
MKaram

[ Edited ]

It got moved and merged into the T-Series thread.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Abnormal-Battery-Failures/td-p/175138

I understand why the community mods are trying to conglomerate threads but I don't see why X-Series users would be expected to search in the T-Series forum. :shrug:

What's DOS?
shihao

Same thing happened to my 93P5032

I only have 52 cycle on it and it's full charge capacity was 64.80Wh.  I've been taking good care of my battery.  My other X41 tablet battery is still going strong with 2 more years on it.  This battery should be on the recall list.

What's DOS?
rc6987

I've been searching for a while to try and find information about this, as many people I know with the X61 tablet are having problems with its battery.  This afternoon, my battery was at 100% while plugged in, and then all of a sudden the orange light started flashing indicating that my battery was low on power.  When I unplugged it, the computer just died.  Before this happened, my battery was completely fine, and I was able to get a minimum of 3 hours off of it when running even on maximum/high performance.  

Does anyone know how to get any attention from Lenovo to raise awareness about this particular battery?  I've read about the other recalls, (http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/batt/082009/LandingPage.html) and it seems like this battery has the same exact problem as the others that have been recalled.  In fact, my battery has the same exact error message when I open Power Manager.

I've been satisfied with the customer service thus far, but this is absolutely insane to think that this is just the normal wear and tear of a battery.  I understand that batteries lose charge over time, but they're not supposed to just completely fail suddenly.  This is my second Lenovo laptop, and I've had 3 year Thinkplus warranties on both of them.  If this doesn't get resolved, I would seriously consider not purchasing a lenovo for a while and telling the rest of my medical school classmates the same, as most have the X61 tablet as well.  

Machine type 7764

FRU P/N 93P5032

Paper Tape
blakestone

Re: Why is battery FRU 93P5032 not included in the recall?

The exact same symptoms happened to me!

I was pretty upset when I took my tablet x61 with me when I went out to do about an hour's worth of surfing/work, stuck it in hibernation when I was done, and when I returned home, I plugged in the AC when the battery icon started to flash orange :smileyfrustrated:. Instead of pulling out the battery like I normally do, I booted up the laptop, and checked the battery satus just for it to tell me that "The battery has failed due to normal wear. The battery cannot be charged..."

What the heck is this? this isn't 'failure due to normal wear'! normal wear is when your battery deteriorates over time! not using it for an hour, putting it in hibernation the next and booting it up a couple hours later to find that your battery has failed.

I find the kicker is that the laptop won't even try to charge the battery! when I check with window's power management, it says that the ac is plugged in but not charging. Straight up this is obviously a battery hardware failure rather then a failure due to normal use.... I've used plenty of laptops in the past of various brands - IBMs, Toshibas, HP, but I must say when those batteries die, it deteroriates over time, not an immediate failure like in this instance.

What also annoys me is the fact that even when you buy the accidental warrenty/on-site next day warrenty, it doesn't cover issues like this where it's a clear battery failure and should not fall under the 'normal wear/tear' of batteries. If I knew this, chances are that I wouldn't have gotten the premium warrently. What's the point of buying a warrenty that's suppose to cover hardware failure and in this instanace it's a clear hardware failure of the BATTERY and not have it covered?

FRU 94P5032

ASM 42T5209

Paper Tape
uk_karen

[ Edited ]

Same problem here.  The battery worked fine one day and then dead the next. 

Battery:

FRU P/N:  93P5032

ASM P/N: 42t5209

Mfg: Sanyo

Mfg. date: 06/21/2007

Voltage: 15.67 V                  <---  Is that the cause of the failure????

Desigh voltage: 14.4 V

Current: 0.00 A

The battery is 98% charged but will not run the computer.  It is getting the "Irreparable damage to the battery has been detected" error.  I expect a "normal" degredation of battery life but that is not what happened. 

Computer: X61 Tablet

Type: 7764-CTO

S/N: LV-xxxxx

Warranty: 3 years (expires 07/10)

What I found interesting from the useless conversations with Lenovo is that the problem with the battery was known in 2005.  We purchased the X61 Tablet in July 2007. 

The battery issue should have been resolved before this computer was purchased.  Given the number of recent posts, it is obvious it is still a problem. 

Moderator Note; s/n edited for members own protection

Blue Screen Again
irongrunty

[ Edited ]

I bought my Lenovo X61 Tablet in Fall 2007 and my battery just failed me today as well (PS: Anyone else have the delamination issue as well? At least 2 other people I know with thinkpads have had the same issue.)

FRU P/N 93P5032

ASM P/N 42T5209

I unfortunately didn't get the warrenty, but apparently it wouldn't have helped - so many reports online about the delamination issue and having to wade through customer support telling them it wasn't under warrenty because it was a "user-caused error", even if they had not used the tablet screen. Is this the same kind of feedback we're going to see about the batteries? And I understand computers and batteries fail, but considering the price we payed for these computers, IBM's reputation of making sturdy computers has really gone downhill since it turned into Lenovo. My computer has failed in multiple places just from normal, everyday use - the screen especially, and now the battery is gone. Thank god the insides work or I wouldn't even be able to post this.

List of things that have gone wrong:

- Screen delamination (proven by multiple posters online that it is a MANUFACTURING defect, and not a user-caused error). I have gigantic bubbles spanning most of the left side and top of my screen.

- The bottom of the screen has split lengthwise (the screw failed when i was opening it one day. just snapped.) and now the screen can't hold itself in the proper position. I have balance the screen perfectly perpendicular or it falls forward or backwards, making the problem even worse.

- That little movable latch thingy on the top of the screen is also broken - the plastic of the entire screen top doesn't seem to be able to handle normal wear.

-  And now the battery is completely useless, turning my $2000+ laptop into a desktop machine with half the capabilities.

It goes without saying that I'm not too happy with Lenovo right now. It still works which is good, some computers insides die and thats the worst, but considering the premium price (compared to $500 Dell/HP craptops which overheat all the time) I would hope that they would put at least as much effort into the housing. My laptop is literally falling apart.

Edit: Look what sucks even more:

http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/batt/082009/LandingPage.html?lang=en

They had a recall for this battery, but if you look around the forums, it says it ended about 8 months ago. That doesn't help us Lenovo! (PS: Screw it, I'm buying a Samsung - its like only twice the cost of a replacement battery)

Paper Tape
Lyuokdea

Same problem here - no battery degradation until yesterday.....then it suddenly died. Anybody have a third party fix that they think will work? Thanks, ~Lyuokdea
Blue Screen Again
josbuc

I have the same high voltage (15.27V) issue.