Support in other languages: 
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Helix and windows 8.1

Panz wrote:

I installed and been testing win 8.1. Seems nice so far, with some great improvements(multiple tabs for metro apps finally!!). The stylus problems seem to be fixed with the 8.1 update and the newest wacom feel it driver.

There is only one issue i have, i cannot go to sleep mode. The screen just shuts off but the computer is still running and the only solution is to hold down the power button. If anyone knowsa way to fix it please share! Other than that feels a more complete experience compared to 8(no way i am going back to that.. thing)

Try disabling Homegroup. 

http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows/how-to-disable-home-groups-in-windows-7-8/

control panel -> network and internet -> homegroup "leave the homegroup"

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Punch Card
Panz

Tried that before and it didn't work. I am not on a homegroup anyway. 

Also, i followed your link and even stopped the homegroup services and that didn't work.

No sleep mode yet, but i got the helix to find some shared folder i had on an older computer so thanks for that!!!

Fanfold Paper
WooHooMe

Hi Panz,
I have the same issue you as you. Sleep mode doesn't work and when I turn off the machine I can still hear the fan working away.

What's DOS?
defconjuan

I'm having the exact same issue (gray screen on front webcam; rear webcam works fine after an update to 8.1). Any luck?
What's DOS?
defconjuan

Here's a fix for the gray camera problem:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Helix-front-facing-camera-problems/m-p...

This grey picture with the Crossed Camera is the privacy mode of the "Lenovo Settings App". You have to deactivate it in the Settings App under the "Camera" tab.

Paper Tape
Notherenow

Yes, same here. that and a whole load of other issues!
Paper Tape
Notherenow

I have HUGE issues since installing 8.1.  The install has somehow damaged a bunch of files and stopped loads of pragams from working.  I get multiple error messages siting 0xc0000142.  Everything I can find to fix this mentions using command prompt to run a scan but cmd.exe is one of the broken programs so I have no way to fix at the moment.  The install also screwed up the recovery so I can't use PC Refresh or go back to 8.0 without totally flattening the machine.  

Lenovo have said the changes are unsupported and Microsoft are pretty useless.  Overall I would recommend not going for 8.1 yet!  

Paper Tape
robnich

IS WINDOWS 8.1 SUPPORTED ON THE HELIX OR NOT. THIS NEEDS TO BE CONFIRMED TO MOVE FORWARD WITH RESOLUTIONS TO OUR PROBLEMS WITH 8.1 ON THE HELIX.

There is a post in this topic on Page 1 dated 10-04-2013 12:18pm by djenkins6 stating, at least from his point-of-view, that Lenovo supports Windows 8.1 and the Helix is one of those supported systems.

That sounded like good news. So, I'm a bit concerned to see Notherenow's post to the contrary on 10-21-2013 12:58pm.

As for me, on 9/19/2013 I called Lenovo support concerning issues with my Helix after having updated to 8.1 using my TechNet subscription having legally downloaded the RTM 8.1 update in advance of public release. I worked under Lenovo support case A065PZ6 with tech Aisha and her supervisor Mohammed. Both Aisha and Mohammed told me that my support call was out-of-scope - meaning not supported. Further that my Helix was shipped to me with 8.0 not 8.1 as if repeating the same dialog he had told users years ago after they had upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. Mohammed connected to my Helix remotely to show me the System window (computer properties) no longer displayed the Lenovo logo to support his point. But to his surprise it still did, just indicating 8.1 Pro instead of 8.0 Pro. The Windows 8.0 to 8.1 update is different than having installed a new operating system by Microsoft design. It's closer to having installed a Service Pack than a new operating system. Based on this in my point-of-view, 8.1 should be supported by Lenovo.

I've posted here several times having reverted to 8.0 cleanly then re-trying the 8.1 update again 4 times in different ways, all of which result in issues, but none as bad as Nottherenow having essentially bricked his Helix. To Lenovo's credit I'm beginning to see Lenovo updates now that do indicate addressing 8.1, but nothing yet from Lenovo as a company, indicating we can call Lenovo support under our warranties confirming a commitment to 8.1 and help us resolve these issues under warranty - no more of the out-of-scope cop-outs. We need some document to reference when calling support in order to countermand claims from yet-to-be-informed support personnel, that Lenovo does indeed support 8.1, so we can get to fixing it.

It could be Lenovo Engineering and Lenovo Support haven't yet fully geared-up for 8.1 internally. I'm hoping this is the case, and that they are indeed gearing-up for it. After all, Windows 8.0 to 8.1 is the first update of its kind and the ramification of updating and warranty coverage is something new to confront by all Microsoft partners.

I'm tolerating many issues with 8.1 on my Helix as well, biding my time, giving Lenovo time to own up to supporting 8.1 and indeed confirming 8.1 is covered under warranty by published this fact in a document to which we can refer.

We shall see!

Punch Card
djenkins6

Just to confirm that I installed 8.1 from the Windows store after public release, I had the grey front camera issue and resolved it by going to lenovo settings camera turn off privacy as described above. I also have an issue with Connectify, and several users have reported issues with that program, the vendor is looking into it. I couldn't connect to wifi at first, I did a windows check for updates and found some updates after the initial 8.1 upgrade, after that wifi worked.

Punch Card
djenkins6

PS. I had actually said in that earlier post that Solution Center program had been updated, and it says in the change log that it had been updated to support windows 8.1, and that's all. I'm just a Helix owner, trying to figure stuff out, not an authority on Lenovo/Helix.