Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta
Accepted Solution

Windows Update Not Working on X220T Win 7 Pro

[ Edited ]

I am trying to update with Windows Update.  When I click on the Check for Updates, I get the following error message:

"Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your computer."

Numerous restarts do nothing.  Going into Services shows that the Windows Udate is indeed started and running.

It's been like this for several weeks.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?  TIA!

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Windows Update Not Working on X220T Win 7 Pro

[ Edited ]

Do you have an Advanced Format drive?  If you've recently migrated to an AF drive, or your machine came with an AFdrive, but ThinkVantage System Update has installed a storage driver that doesn't have proper AF support, this is one (strange) symptom.

You may be able to resolve it by rolling back the Intel storage driver, or installing one directly from Intel.

There's a thread around here (which I still can't find) that describes getting bitten by the 2nd possibility (TVSU is installing a buggy driver).  Until I can find it, here's a KB that indirectly addresses the issue: Windows Update Fails After Installing New Hard Drive

[edit] Found the post: Intel Matrix Storage Manager disables Windows Update and Windows Validation on Windows 7 64-bit

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta

[ Edited ]

I found a simple solution on the Microsoft website.  This is apparently a common problem.

Solution is to delete the contents of the C:\windows\SofwareDistribution folder, and reboot.  Widows Update will now work, although it will respond as if Windows has never been updated.

Apparently, something in this folder gets corrupted.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Glad you found the solution.

How about posting a link to that Microsoft solution page.  We can add that to the list of things that can cause/fix this problem.

Thanks,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

SCSI Port
DUTCHvanAtlanta

[ Edited ]

Here you go.  Scroll to the last few responses to the thread on page 2.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-service-not...

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Thanks for the link.  I was hoping for a KB...

Your description of the fix here is more readable :smileywink:

Thanks for the follow up and the fix.

Regards,

Z.