Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
wirex
Accepted Solution

X200 Tablet, Win7, Black screen freeze on sleep

I've posted about this before, and never gotten any farther yet, but as I figured out some new info I'd repost.

So I have a brand new, loaded x200 (1.86GHz, 4gb ram, Intel 5300, webcam, fingerprint, card reader, enhanced multitouch (multi-finger)) with windows 7. It's been fast but I'm still having serious issues when it comes to sleep/hibernate.

Using windows reliability monitor, about 5 times a day (out of the 10 times I might need to sleep/hibernate) on trying to sleep by closing the lid or using fn+f4, windows will stop responding.

Some info I've figured out about this state:

The status leds remain active. Pressing buttons occationally will cause hdd activity, using the external wifi switch will still enable and disable the wifi, so windows is still operating.

I cannot connect by remote desktop. It connects, lets me log in, but then all I see is a black screen and a spinning blue circle and have to disconnet

Very Wierd: Key shortcuts seem to fail BEFORE this is a problem. Windows Key +L, ctrl+alt+del, ctrl+shift+esc all seem to fail. I know when my sleep won't work by testing those first. I tried using microsoft process explorer to kill any active process, and none seemed responsible. So this is likely a driver/service related issue.

I've downgraded most of my drivers to the ones in c:\SWTOOLS as recommended by the forums, tried to disable all non-essential hardware, uninstall anything I could. Still stuck and very frustrated after a month.

-Matt

Paper Tape
CameronM

Re: X200 Tablet, Win7, Black screen freeze on sleep

I have exactly the same problem,  and have posted in the hope of a fix. There are a coupe of threads suggesting possible fixes, one of which involves deactivating bitlocker, though this did not help solve my problem.

Has anyone here put an older version of windows on an X200T, and does it present the same problems?

Fanfold Paper
empi47

A similar configuration under Vista does not present these problems.  I have been having this issue for months, and Lenovo has yet to deliver a driver or even a response to this.

Serial Port
wirex

More testing once my keyboard shortcuts have failed:

Cannot properly shuttodown, log out, or sleep

Tried killing all active processes one at a time, nothing

Tried killing most services one at a time, still can't do anything

Windows UAC can't seem to properly display it's concent.exe prompt

I'll be calling lenovo tomorrow, but if anyone has any idea about drivers to try and remove/change or any other wild ideas you'd like me to test please post.

Serial Port
wirex

So I have been thinking more on the issue:

It doesn't seem to be caused by any running process

It doesn't seem to be caused by any running service

It effects the keyboard input

It seems to effect Windows 7, 64 bit as far as I've seen by searching the forms, x60, x200, x301, and perhaps a few other models

I still have to test next time by disabling hardware when it is about to crash, but I did find an interm fix

To let you sleep even when you know it is going to crash

that is, when windowskey+L fails, try this:

Start -> Switch user

The screen should go black and you'll get the spinning orb that never ends

Now close the display (assuming you have close setup to sleep)

I've tried this three times today, and it always properly sleeps and returns when I open the lid. I am trying to get in contact with lenovo about this, but they are unhelpful thus far

Fanfold Paper
evafast

I am having the same problem - my configuration is pretty much the same: multitouch (multifinger), 64bit Win7, 5300 wifi, 128 ssd, no fingerprint reader, webcam, 4gb ram

would really apprechiate a fix for that, kind of annoying to always have to kill your computer because it can't come back from sleep....

What's DOS?
nashornikov

Doesn't appear to be a strictly Win 7 or 64 bit issue. I have an X200 w/ 32 bit Vista (because that's what I have). This started for me when I installed active protection, HDD w/ HDP fix, and some update modules. Lenovo teaches a stricter eastern version of "if it ain't broke don't fix it," which reads, "don't update it."

Serial Port
sethcshort

I have Win7 32-bit, and I've been having this exact same problem -- when it would go to sleep, regardless of if I used Fn-F4 or closed the lid or used the Start menu, about half the time it would freeze on black screen and be completely unresponsive, with occasional flickers of the hard drive.

Since I opted for the on-site warranty, and I don't intend to stand for a brand new premium machine that doesn't work, I put in a service request. They sent a guy who replaced the motherboard. I haven't had the issue since.

However, now, occasionally, on awaking from sleep the screen gets a bunch of glitchy staticy lines, and I have to warm-reboot to get rid of them. :smileysad:

Anyway, thought I'd share that solution.

Seth

Serial Port
wirex

I'll have to call lenovo today then and see what they can do for me, thankfully they do have a depot here. As for the graphical glitches on resume, it's usually due to the newer intel graphic drivers. If you downgrade them, it will go away.

Serial Port
wirex

Called lenovo this morning

They asked me to try and update everythign (done that), update bios (done that), disable the fingerprint reader (done that, as well as uninstalled completely). They don't have much else than that. I still have to try a clean, non-lenovo windows 7 install soon, but otherwise they can't help.

So if anyone has any more information or ideas, please pass them along. I'll keep trying things to see what I can figure out, though my attempts make me look mostly at the chipset or drivers in general.