Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
chimp_on_a_T61

Re: X200T LCD Panel Identification

This is truly amazing - certainly violates the terms of your on-site warranty - should be reported to the BBS and your state office of consumer affairs.  It also sounds like you have suffered material damage from the loss of your machine.  Note that Lenovo has an out in the warranty for the lack of inventory in a particular part, but there is no exclusion for not being able to determine what parts are in their products...
Ctrl-Alt-Del
threedaysrest

[ Edited ]

@chimp:

Since Jim's system is stuck in Lenovo limbo and no one knows who makes this blasted panel, perhaps it's made by XYZ LCD Comany of Parts Unknown.  This is not to make light of Jim's deplorable and inexcusable situation nor Lenovo's pathetic handling of it, but it's laughable that a worldwide computer manufacturer that lauds the ThinkPad brand conducts any part of its operation in this manner.

I can only hope Jim's situation is expediently resolved.  Along the way, perhaps we'll find out who indeed makes this thing.  Then again, Lenovo has epically failed on multiple fronts with no sign of caring about a resolution, so who knows?

Cheers,

~tdr.

Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-08-2009 01:43 PM
Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-08-2009 01:48 PM
Blue Screen Again
jwynn9154

I think I'm headed towards a good resolution on this one.  The very helpful Lenovo support tech contacted me to day with the information that the engineers had actually determined the part number of the display and that on-site service should be here on Monday to repair my laptop.  We'll see . . .
Ctrl-Alt-Del
threedaysrest

[ Edited ]

Jim,

Please pass along the part number that was provided.  I'd like to do some research on it and determine who manufactures this particular LCD panel.  I have the same one as yours, and to date, no one has been able to tell me who makes it.  If you think of it, please ask the on-site tech. to tell you the part number (and preferably, who makes the blasted panel).  Please let us know how this turns out.

Thanks,

~tdr.

Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-10-2009 07:50 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
threedaysrest

[ Edited ]

@jwynn9154:

Any update on the repair of your X200 tablet?  Several of us are interested in your situation and the parts identifcation information of this heretofore mysterious LCD panel.

Thanks,

~tdr.

Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-13-2009 10:07 PM
Blue Screen Again
jwynn9154

It is indeed a Samsung LCD panel. I have the part number on a Post-it at my desk - will repost with that information when I get back there later today.

The screen replacement went aok yesterday.

JW

Ctrl-Alt-Del
threedaysrest

Wow.  Thanks for the information, Jim.  I'm glad to hear the repair went well.

Cheers,

~tdr.

Punch Card
chimp_on_a_T61

Thanks for letting us know Jim, and good work, tdr, in keeping after this vexing search for information.  I knew that sooner or later someone would have take one apart...  So now we know for sure that the LED panel is Samsung.  Like you, I am somewhat disappointed based on the product history of the two companies, but yet I do like this panel, and I hope Samsung uses it as a standard for future screens.  Now I am going to have to get a Hydis CCFL X200T, and compare them side-by-side.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
threedaysrest

[ Edited ]

I'm downright shocked this is a Samsung panel, especially in light of George's immense knowledge of display panels.  I'd have bet anything this panel is made by Hydis.  Heck, they patented AFFS+, as I pointed out earlier in this thread.  Jim proved this is a Samsung panel, but all other signs pointed to anything but Samsung as the manufacturer.

And you're darn right I stayed on it.  I paid a significant sum for my X200 tablet and wanted to know the exact specifications and capabilities of every part therein.  It was all the more frustrating that Lenovo had no idea--and didn't care to find out--who makes this thing, as Jim's experience shows.  Fortunately for him, all worked out fine, and we now know Samsung, not Hydis, makes what is otherwise an A-grade panel.

I'd be interested in your opinion, chimp, on whether the LED or CCFL panel is better.  My money's on the Hydis panel...

Thanks to everyone who participated and to you in particular, Jim, for reporting back to us. 

A final point:  shame on you, Lenovo, for not trying to find an answer to this important question.  It took an on-site technican--who, after two failed attempts, happened upon the correct panel by dumb luck--and the kindness and diligence of an equally frustrated and stranded user to determine what's in machines you're selling!  That's absolutely incredible and indefensible.    How can you stand by and trumpet the ThinkPad name when you're unaware of the components that comprise it?

Cheers anyway,

~tdr.

Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-14-2009 01:50 PM
Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-14-2009 01:51 PM
Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-14-2009 01:51 PM
Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-14-2009 01:52 PM
Message Edited by threedaysrest on 04-14-2009 01:58 PM
Blue Screen Again
jwynn9154

So, the numbers on the panel installed in machine were:

LTN121AP03 - the Samsung part number and

42T0565 (the tech thought this to be the IBM part number)

JW