Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
sjeye

X200T - Touch Screen (how to enable it?)

I purchased a new X200-T (model 74498JU) today. 

I cannot figure out how to use the multi-touch screen.  The pen works fine.

Is there some method to enable the touch screen so that I can use my fingers on the screen?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jim

VEJ
Serial Port
VEJ

Re: X200T - Touch Screen (how to enable it?)

sjeye wrote:

I purchased a new X200-T (model 74498JU) today. 

I cannot figure out how to use the multi-touch screen.  The pen works fine.

Is there some method to enable the touch screen so that I can use my fingers on the screen?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Jim

Multi touch with this laptop only means that you can us the digitizer and your finger.

Not multiple fingers.

If you touch one finger to the screen you will notice a mouse image appearing you can click the image buttons but that is all.

So think as your finger as a very rough/rude digitizer replacement.

Paper Tape
sjeye

My X200 Tablet won't respond to any finger touch - just to the stylus pen.   Before purchasing (from Provantage.com), I was confused about which prepackaged configurations had "stylus only" vs/ "finger & stylus (multitouch)".  I called the Lenovo sales (866-968-4465) and they led me to believe that the config I was purchasing had the multitouch.

Now that I purchased it, it appears to be "stylus only", unless I'm doing something wrong.  If I look at System Information \ Input, it only shows Keyboard and Pointing Device.  No entry for touch screen or "multi-anything". 

I think I was misled.

Any chance that Lenovo wouild make good on it?

Jim

Caf
Token Ring

sjeye wrote:

Before purchasing (from Provantage.com)

Any chance that Lenovo wouild make good on it?

You need to take it up with Provantage if that's where you bought the system.  Why would Lenovo do anything when they weren't involved in the purchase?

Bummer though.

Lenovo Staff
Soap

Another option to verify if you have this feature but it is not working is to look in Device Manager and see if you have any yellow exclamation points or any red X's

The multi-touch devices are listed under Human Interfaces Devices

You want to look for:

Touch Panel Driver

Wacon Penabled Dual Touch

VEJ
Serial Port
VEJ

Under Control Panel ==> Pen and Input Devices there is a tab named Touch.

Under this tab is an option: Use your finger as an input device

If not there then you probably can not us your finger.

Punch Card
kspear

How are you making out with your x200T?

fwiw, I have the x200T with multi-touch screen working with Windows 7 and find the touch capability underwhelming.

The pen is much more precise and consistent.  Finger touch is only one finger at a time unlike the iPhone and HP Smarttouch laptop at 1/2 the price.  

That said, I am happy with my X200T just using the pen.

I've heard that the non-touch screen has a brighter display which sounds like a good trade-off and a better decision.

Thinkpad X200T 7448-CTO 1.86Ghz 4gb 128gbSSD W7-32
Thinkpad R61 2x2.5Ghz 2gb 2x500gb W7-32
Paper Tape
sjeye

Thanks for the post.  I've made the transition from my old laptop to the X200T.  I'm not using the Tablet feature much, but plan to do some prototyping of EMR software for my medical practice.

Mostly, I'm feeling foolish for apparently purchasing the wrong spec.  I was misled (unintentionally, I expect) by the Lenovo sales staff.  She was clearly uncertain of what she was telling me about the finger touch capable screen.  When I pushed her, she gave me bad information.

It's a small consolation about the increased screen brightness on the standard screen.  In the final assessment, the finger touch is a convenience I can do without. 

Jim

Ctrl-Alt-Del
GrantTedaldi

Finger touch is generally user specific-  and the software is built to avoid any type of accidental multi touch...  meaning that even though the hardware is capable of having your touch one point with the pen, and another point with your finger-  the touch becomes disabled when the machine is too close to the pen.

I find it incredibly useful to tight situations or more natural formed browsing.

It does however impact the screen-   as the digitizer is one more level that blocks out the brightness of the screen, AND in the past (at least with the x60) meant you can only have XGA and not SXGA.

For me though I appreciate the ease of the multitouch and NEED a wacom active digitizer for the line of artwork I do.   Thus in the grand scheme of laptops-  only one is really available to me.

Token Ring
jonlumpkin

Sorry to say but 7449-8JU does NOT have the Multi-Touch display.  Instead it ships with the very good, albeit pen only, SuperBright LED display.

I'm not sure who told you the 7449-8JU has touch, but they were misinfomred.  You should have checked the Tabook as it clearly lists which models do and do NOT have touch capability.

Personally, I would suggest you keep your current model as the SuperBright LED is a superb quality display and touch is not excessively useful (in my opinion).