02-10-2012 09:55 PM
Thought I would post up my experience of upgrading an X200T (model 7448CTO), maybe saving time for others.
I upgraded from Vista (original HDD) to W7 (new SSD - intel 510), whacked in 2x4GB of Crucial RAM. It was apparently stable for about a week, then after a windows update, something broke and it started BSOD'ing frequently.
After a fair bit of debugging, I found I could very reliably provoke the laptop into a BSOD by running the Intel SSD toolbox's fully diagnostic scan.
As it turned out, there were at least two, most likely three contributing factors:
1) Reliable SATA connection
I initially pulled out the original HDD, and placed the new 2.5" SSD into the carrier and slotted it back in. I had to force it a bit, but it made a connection, and W7 ran ok initially.
During debugging, I opened up the case fully - lifting up the keyboard rather than just using the HDD/SDD side opening. There was a metallic mesh thingie sitting just above the SATA connector that was deformed. The rubber rails must have caught the mesh and warped it. The SATA connection was made, but I'm speculating it wasn't a reliable one. Once the BSODs begin happening, I noticed it was more frequent when I was on the move.
So, that got fixed - but there were still other physical issues. Again I'm speculating that it's a contributing factor - the carrier wasn't quite aligned with the SSD - on the SATA connector end it was sticking out by maybe 1mm or so, due to manufacturing tolerances. Had to leave out a screw on the carrier to make sure it was flush.
The rubber rail's head on SATA connector side had to be cut off, it looked it was getting in the way of a good connection. The last thing was I inserted a piece of paper to one side of the rubber rail to make sure there was no sideways movement.
2) BIOS update
Since the system was apparently stable for a week or so, I assumed BIOS wasn't an issue. I can say definitively that upgrading from the stock BIOS (I think it was 2.7) to 3.2 was part of the solution.
3) Disable DIPM / LPM
I installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, then did the regedit fix to disable DIPM. I don't know whether it would have worked with msahci.sys, but since I've now got a stable configuration, I'm not breaking it again
Fingers crossed it stays stable!
P.S. I initially thought the memory was the culprit, since it was the last thing that went in, but it was ok. Part number is CT2KIT51264BC1067 if anyone's interested.