Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
glitz

X201 i5 lag

Hi,

I have a new X201 tablet i5, 4 G ram, Windows 7 professional and am having serious "lag" issues. The keyboard will take a few seconds to register a stroke, the mouse takes a while to change when hovering over something, the system freezes for a couple secs when switching between programs. However, the mouse itself moves around fine, it's just that any "actions" are delayed. CPU usage is never above 30 or 40 %, usually no more than 20%, the ram displayed in the task-manager however, only says 2.7 GB. Am running off power, not the battery. I only have a browser and Word open.

The performance is a lot worse than on my crapped-out 1 GB, 5-year-old laptop.

What is going on?

Ta,

James

Agotthelf
Topics: 146
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Re: X201 i5 lag

Hi James,

which Antivirus are you running? I experienced the same with a version of Antivir.

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

What's DOS?
glitz

No virus scanner installed yet. It just seems to happen after a few hours, and all I can do is shut the machine down and let it rest. The fan also keeps jumping on. Today the available ram shown in task manager is 1.45 GB. That can't be right.

Bit Torrent
Vince69

Hello mate,

The problem with the RAM is because you must have windows 7 32-Bit. It can't see all the RAM.

What you can try is stopping the indexation process under Control Panel> System And Security>Administrative Tools. Click to Component Services and click to Services (Local). Then find the Windows Search service right click on it and Properties. There in the tab General you can see Startup Type. Select the option Disabled and OK.

Windows search uses a lot of resources and permanently index the changes in your HDD.

You can try that and see if it's better.

For the fan problem, you can adjust that in power manager. Open it an in advanced mode go to your power profile and under Advanced Settings you have System Cooling Policy put it on passive. It will calm down a bit the fan.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Paper Tape
skarim

I had a similar problem (though yours may be different): 

The slowness I was experiencing was directly related to the incredible high CPU-usage. And that, I found, was related to the following process: 

PresentationFontCache.exe

Based on the information from the following thread, something with that process was hanging up, so I followed the instructions and deleted it. After the reboot, the computer is once again idling at 0-5% CPU.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/presentationfontcacheexe-uses...

Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\ ,delete all Font*.dat files (there should be 4 our 5 of them) and then reboot your machine