Support in other languages: 
asb
Paper Tape
asb
Accepted Solution

X201t Core i5 2.67 GHz

I am having problems with my X201 t when using skype and any online video streaming. Sound quality is poor and video often impossible.

I have another computer running windows 7 (Macbook/Bootcamp) and that has no problems at all. It therefore seems like a Lenovo hardware problem. I have tried all the usual temp internet folder emptying and program deletions. I have also used the Tuneup Utilities program, but it still does not work well.

This flaw makes the X201t a totally useless businness tool for mobile working for me.

Solutions/suggestions welcome/desperately needed!

Token Ring
kvirtanen

Re: X201t Core i5 2.67 GHz

[ Edited ]

I know this is tricky to test, but have you got a chance to boot up a Live version of Ubuntu? From a USB stick, so you wouldn't have to install it. You could test Skype in a Linux environment to troubleshoot where the problem is — if it's Win7 drivers or hardware. (are you up-to-date, btw?)

On my former X201T I noticed that the dual mic setup was REALLY unidirectional, i.e. if I moved away from the mics as little as half a meter, the recipient couldn't hear my voice anymore. This probably doesn't relate to your problem directly.

Also, you have quite a powerful configuration that needs effective cooling. Have you noticed any heat building up during streaming video or Skype? Some laptops I've had begin to show stuttering of online videos when they overheat. Probably wouldn't hurt to carefully clean the air vents with a vacuum cleaner.

Lastly, have you checked that you're not running some low-voltage, battery-saving power scheme? This will bring down the processor speed and might result in stuttering when viewing HD online videos.

http://wirtanen.tk/ -- web portfolio & cv
asb
Paper Tape
asb

Thanks so much for a quick response!

I will download an Umbuntu live disc and try this out

On the heating, all seems fine, but I will check the vents are clear.

I have tried with the highest performance settings and with the LAN cable directly connected, so that's covered.

The annoying thing is the unreliability. The computer works okay for short periods and then reverts to jumpy images and slow functioning generally for some time before recovering for a bit and so on. I am not that technical, but its like something is building up and then releasing before building up again.

Thanks again for feeding back. If you have more thoughts, they are welcome. 

Token Ring
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

Well, when the computer begins to slow down, have you checked the running processes? Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to bring up the Task Manager, go to Processes tab, and order the list by the process using the most of the processor. The process using the most resources will be on the top. This way you might be able to determine a buggy program causing the slowdowns.

Sometimes I get Google Chrome there, especially if some website causes one of the tabs to slow down or crash. Usually updating the application fixes the behavior.

Are you using TuneUp Utilies' Turbo Mode or some other special configuration that changes your system's configuration? I've used TuneUp quite a while, but it hasn't caused any symptoms though.

I'm interested in hearing about your findings in Linux.

On a related note, what is your specific configuration (CPU model, amount of RAM, HDD space...)?

http://wirtanen.tk/ -- web portfolio & cv
asb
Paper Tape
asb

[ Edited ]

I have found a solution

Umbuntu exteranal boot showed that the computer was fine as did dual booting another copy of windows 7.

Trying to avoid even more admin time I persisted in trying to solve rather than go for a clean install and ultimately found it was the problem. It was the PresentationFontCache.exe process sucking up CPU power and seemingly affecting other processes.

http://blog.tune-up.com/myth-buster/the-case-of-the-mysterious-presentation-font-cache-cpu-hog/

Once I shut down *PresentationFontCache.exe" the CPU usage dropped to less than 10 % (from near 100%) and the computer has since worked like a rocket without any problems

Thanks for your help