Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
SFsix

Re: X201t: Multitouch vs Superbright screen

Good point you got there.

Honestly I don't know why the viewing angles of the Iphone are better than the Tablet. They both use capacitive touch screens. However (and that's what I think), there's still some difference. A computer screen is not an iphone screen. But I'm not an expert... so good question. It's kinda hard to find some detailed specs on the screens they use...

Maybe it is the protective layer. But looking at the video above, there cleary is a big difference between the non MT (outdorr) and the MT version!

Well... this saturday I'll ge mine with the outdoor screen. I'll see for myself...

Fanfold Paper
Mugrunty

[ Edited ]

I'm trying not to like the outdoor viewable display.  The more I think about it, the sadder I get...knowing that I cannot exchange my MT display for the outdoor viewable.  I wonder how much it would cost if you just told lenovo that you wanted to wanted to get the outdoor viewable screen installed?

I may still like the MT display though.  It's nice being able to use it in tablet mode with internet browsing, or while in OneNote to zoom in and out.

I took some quick (not very good) pictures of the viewing angles when compared to my T60.  In fact, here are two pictures from my cell phone of me typing this response!  The viewing angles are pretty nice, but I wish the brightness didn't drop off.    It's just too hard to capture that with a camera.  Maybe a video or something with the exposure fixed?  Or the graniness of the display....

But, just for fun...here are some shots from my cell phone...

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Mugrunty/0423001443.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Mugrunty/0423001443a.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Mugrunty/0423001442.jpg[/IMG]

And here are some shots of the viewing angles when compared to my T60:

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Mugrunty/SANY0991.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Mugrunty/SANY0992.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk258/Mugrunty/SANY0993.jpg[/IMG]

When looking directly at each display, the X200 is quite a bit brighter.  But when viewed from the side, the T60's display doesn't loose as much brightness when compared to the x200.

Maybe If I could rewind time, I would order the outdoor viewable screen.  I'm just not sure at this point.  :smileysad:

Paper Tape
jarno

Thank you for photos, it helps me to choose the right display :smileyhappy:
Punch Card
SFsix

Okay I got the X200t (7450-65G) with the 400nit display and here're my first impressions compared to the X201t with the 300nit MT display (3093-W11):

1. The display is indeed better. It doesn't get that dark when looking from above/right/left onto the display. However the difference is not daunting - but to me it's definitely noticeable. Colors, viewing angels and contrast are great!
  2. The screen itself is very bright. For common usage I need to dim it to 9/15 because above that it's just too bright for indoor use. Even when the backlight is turned off, the screen is still readable (could this be transreflecive?). I will test it's outdoor capabilities tomorrow to see how it performs in sunlight.
  3. The downside to that: No MT and the screen acts like a magnet for finger prints. It's not visible when the backlight is turned on. But when the screen is dark it just looks.... well dirty. It's just a cosmetic problem, but on the X201t I never noticed any fingerprints at all.
  4. Another con: There is some minor reflectivity. Haven't had a problem with that yet,  but it's way more than the X201t w/ MT. Again, we'll see tomorrow how it affects outdoor usage (isn't that an outdoor panel with an anti-reflective coating?!?!). 
  5. Both the X201t and the X200t look the same. There is no difference at all from the outside (okay, maybe the touchpad - but that's it). They both have the same ports at the very same places. The SL9600 processor is fast enough for my purposes. I really don't miss the i7 (uh well, yes I do ;-) But not because I noticed a heavy increase in power. It's just that  "didn't get the latest and coolest on the market feeling" :-D).
  6. Battery life is actually better on the X200t. At least that's the experience I have: 5hrs 20min. compared to 4hrs. 50 on the X201t (around 8,6W vs. 10W). I used the same 67Wh 8c battery on both models for an entire day in my regular setup (taking notes in OneNote and randomly surfing the web - not very scientific, but at least common handling). [Btw the X200t has an UMTS card while the X201t didn't. So it's not because of WWAN or something. Seriously I don't know why the difference is that obvioust! Did a clean install on both systems before running my "test")
  7. Conclusion: X201t is just an internal upgrade. If you have an X200t already, you really don't need the X201t. If you can do w/o MT, go for the outdoor display. It's really great but make sure you order a microfibre cloth to go with it.
  8. But maybe I just got unlucky on the X201t I received. I've heard quite a few positive opinions on the X201t so this really could be a matter of personal preference. And of course it's that sort of problem you want to have. Both machines are great and expensive.
Punch Card
MiPo

Big thanks for taking the time to share your experiences! It was an informative read and good to hear a comparison of the two premium screens.

Paper Tape
bigslick

SFix, thanks for following up! one question, how does the graininess compare between the two screens? would you say only slightly less grainy, big difference, or does the new one have completely  no grain?

Fanfold Paper
Mugrunty

I'm curious about the grainyness as well!  :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
SFsix

I'm not completely sure what you guys mean by graininess. Help out a poor German guy would ya so I can give y'all a precise answer ;-)

(Maybe even with some pics that can show the effect).

Punch Card
MiPo

I received my x201t with the MT screen a few days ago, and while I don't have the superbright one to compare it to I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the quality of the screen. Compared to my old laptop (Dell inspiron), the x201t blows it away in every aspect (may not matter to you, but from my standpoint it's significant). I don't see the graininess that people are mentioning, but at certain angle with the right lighting you can see one of the layers for pen or tough input (looks like tiny dots in a grid pattern spaced a little under a cm apart). I'm loving the multitouch.. don't regret getting it even after hearing all the praise for the superbright screen.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
qfarnsworth

I wish we didn't have to make a choice.  I hope Lenovo will release an X201t Multitouch model with an Outdoor Superbright screen very soon.  If you agree, please let them know.  I, for one, will buy one if they make it.

Q