Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Takito

X220 Tablet 4296-2YU Performance issue with strange Event viewer warning

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I'm got a Lenovo X220 Tablet 4296-2YU, and I'm having some performance issues with it.

It freezes for a few milliseconds (you can notice this while playing something on Youtube and you'll notice the audio is freezing for 0.001 ms, or watching the mouse cursor very closely and you'll see it is getting stuck)

It also have poor boot time.

Anyway, I look for the cause and found the following interesting event viewer notification attached here.

It is not synced with the freezing issue on the timeline, but i think it is related. 

It says someting like : "the speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. the processor has been in this reduced performance state for..."

Does anyone have this Warning message while using the computer ?

You can look for it under: Computer manage -Event Viewer - Windows - System

Event Viewer

As some of you may think, i already did a full check for :

Windows updates - Fully updated

Lenovos updates - Fully updated

Hard Drive test - Passed

CPU test - Passed

GPU test - Passed

Memory test - Passed

Paper Tape
franckbender

Re: X220 Tablet 4296-2YU Performance issue with strange Event viewer warning

Lenovo 42962WU upgraded to 8gb of RAM here,

Hi, I have experienced the same general slowness; very annoying. Thank you for checking the Event Viewer, didn't think of it.

I have the exact same event listed; I googled it ("kernel processor power event 37", first result), turns out it's got to do with which power plan you're on; one that favourites too low of a performance bottlenecks the CPU, resulting in horribly low performance. The problem seems to completely go away when on a high performance power plan. I am fairly sure of which specific power settings to change, wouldn't mind confirmation though.

Go to Power Manager in Advanced mode, to your favourite power saving plan and toggle System settings > System performance & CPU Deeper Sleep.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Takito

Hi,

My computer is already set to "Maximum performance", and i'm still having this issues.

Mostly the audio freezing thing... and even the mouse somtimes freezes for one milisecond.. :\

Paper Tape
franckbender

I'm not sure I see what you are talking about, I assume you've checked your running processes? Try Process Explorer, it's more thorough...also, you might want to check a graph of CPU usage to see if this happens when your computer is working a lot.
Otherwise, if you haven't seen it yet, check this out to improve boot up time:
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220T-lag-during-startup-even-after-fac...
Was it doing it out of the box?
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Takito

It came like this out of the box.

I did use process explorer and a lot of system tests.

Nothing looks abnormal in them...

Paper Tape
franckbender

Well, I have had my cursor occasionally blinking (maybe google that) in Firefox on one single site, not Youtube. But I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with performance, I thought it was some kind of Javascript glitch on that particular site. Don't quote me on that, though.
For the audio part, I'd suggest to make sure your speakers are set-up correctly in Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>select Speakers>Properties>Enhancement tab (I have mine set on Virtual Surround). Otherwise, you could also just disable/re-enable (or uninstall/re-install) your audio driver, but yeah, that's not very likely to solve anything.
I assume those problems affect all Internet browsers AND the Windows shell? Is your laptop showing poor performance and speed as well or just those two glitches (I mean are they symptoms or the actual problem)? And also, have you upgraded it in any way, are you using any kind of third-party input devices...?
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Takito

Thanks anyway !

Just one more thing.

Do you also have the GPU on 100% all of the time without moving ?