Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
kiul676

X220 Tablet Internet Tablet Mode Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I have a really annoying problem...my x220 tablet disconnects from the internet whenever I enter tablet mode. The internet can be working perfectly fine while in non tablet mode but as soon as I switch to tablet mode, my internet disconnects. And if I switch back to non tablet mode from tablet mode, my internet returns almost instantaneously. I can load a page in non tablet mode with no problems, switch to tablet mode and the page stops loading. If I return back to non tablet mode the page resumes loading without so much as a pause or a hiccup. Also, when I switch the computer to tablet mode, wifi networks disappear off of the "available networks" list that were there before the switch. 

I've tried everything, from updating network device drivers, reinstalling network device drivers, running diagnostics, reformatting my computer, uninstalling Norton Antivirus, system restoring to days before the last known working date in normal mode and safe mode, and contacting customer support (chat and call, managed to get a hold of a rep) but none of them have worked.

I also used to have a networking log before I reformatted/system reset to factory settings and there were a ton of errors with words like avsc manager failed to "something" ... I'll reinstall the thinkpad network managing program to create another log. Can someone please help me? My last resort is calling lenovo support again to have tech support come to help.

Thanks in advance! 

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: X220 Tablet Internet Tablet Mode Problem

hey kiul676,

that's weird, could you check your bios is at 1.24. if it isnt go here and update : http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018805

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
rfs
Paper Tape
rfs

Hi, I'm having exactly the same issues. My BIOS is up to date and so are all drivers and software. It seems like the moment the display touches the keyboard in tablet mode wireless connection suffers drastically. 

Strangely enough the wireless status indicator in the taskbar doesn't show any change in reception quality/signal strength.

It would really be appreciated if anyone has an idea, this way the tablet is just useless.

rfs
Paper Tape
rfs

Actually, after posting I double checked and one does see a fluctuation in signal strength. Whereas in non-tablet mode my router is constantly placed in the 100-80% ring of the Access Connections tool as soon as I switch to tablet mode every couple of seconds it jumps to the 60% bracket before jumping back.

Pinging a server constantly at the same time reveals that these are the moments where package losses/lag spikes occur.

Guru
Audois

Try to uninstall the Acces Connections utility.

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
rfs
Paper Tape
rfs

Why do you think it's the Access Connections?

Guru
Audois

No idea! Try just to see if that solve your problem!

rfs
Paper Tape
rfs

No, it didn't, any other ideas anyone?

Guru
Audois

Why not give a try to my clean install method? That could solve any software issue.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/My-X220t-Clean-Install-Method/td-p/6612...

rfs
Paper Tape
rfs

Little update, I got the chance to try out a new replacement X220 tablet and it has exactly the same problem. So I assume this is a design flaw of the series, closing of the lid (as in tablet mode) seems to significantly reduce reception of the antennae. This seems to be worse with certain routers and better with others. Worst results I found with a Netgear DGN1000 (standard router for Virgin in the UK which stubbornly refuse to exchange it). I did have the same problems with other routers and in different locations as well.