Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
pec
Fanfold Paper
pec

Re: X220 Tablet touchpad issues

Alejandro.

I have not had any more problems with the trackpoint or UltraNav since the keyboard and trackpad were replaced.

What's DOS?
lister

I think the reason Lenovo has been silent on this issue is to avoid the expense of fixing the hardware. I just received a new x220 a week ago and despite upgrading the drivers, etc. I still have this issue. So, if you think you will buy a new machine and you'll get lucky (like me...), you will likely be disappointed. Very annoying, how often is a tablet 'shutdown'. With my previous Motion Computing slate, I think it was only shutdown a handful of times over the years. How did no one test this or think it was acceptable behavior? I'm really puzzled why some of the product reviews I read didn't mention all of the stability issues with these machines. I did review the forums some and realized there might be some issues, but figured it was just the squeaky wheels complaining and wouldn't affect me, but once you buy one and start running into the same issues... I'm contemplating just returning both of my recently purchased Thinkpads, W520 and x220t. There are several issues on both machines that should not be there. The quality of Thinkpads I remembered from years past does not seem to be present in their newer machines. The build and available hardware options are still generally good, although without working drivers most of the hardware is crippled or non functional (e.g. fingerprint reader). I understand the hardware is still designed in Japan (?) but has the software development been outsourced or something?
Punch Card
Alejandro1

Lister,

Thanks for the update. Although very disappointing to hear, your response was very timely as I was just getting ready to place an order - literally, my finger was on the complete order button.

Now, my problem is that I am currently the highest bidder on eBay for some X220 Tablet accessories.  Hopefully, someone will outbid me.  I am giving up hope on the Lenovo X220T.  I think I'll have to go look more seriously at the Esus Win7 tablet.  I played with it at a Microsoft store and it was a great machine. 

Thanks again.

Fanfold Paper
jtdarlington

I know it's not going to help the X220 folks, but for completeness, I seem to have solved the similar issue with my X201 tablet, so I thought I should post something about the resolution. I was exhibiting near identical symptoms as others reported: after upgrading the UltraNav driver, the TrackPoint and the touch pad both stopped working, but only when logged in as the user who installed the driver. The UltraNav worked fine at the Windows login screen and for other users.

Fortunately for me, the resolution was fairly simple, if a bit cumbersome and required some trial and error. I disabled my anti-virus software (McAfee) and uninstalled first the UltraNav Utility then the UltraNav driver. I rebooted, disabled the anti-virus again, and installed the latest UltraNav driver from the support site (15.3.8.0). I rebooted again and tested that the TrackPoint and touch pad both worked with the new driver. Next I disabled the anti-virus again, installed the UltraNav Utility (2.13.0), and rebooted a third time. I tested that the UltraNav worked with the with the Utility, then shutdown and did a cold boot to make sure it still worked.

I did hit one snag when a Windows Update failed recently. I believe in this case that Windows restored from a previous restoration point and rolled back the UltraNav driver and Utility back to the broken state. I reproduced the procedure above and got the UltraNav working again, so that proves it was repeatable. That doesn't solve the problem with my failed Windows patch, but at least I know I can get the UltraNav to work agian.

Punch Card
Alejandro1

Jdarling,

Thanks for this info.  Have you tested this after coming our of hibernation or sleep mode?

Thanks.

Fanfold Paper
jtdarlington

I hadn't, primarily because it wasn't working under any circumstance, which was a bit more of a pressing issue. But I just put my machine into hibernation just now and the UltraNav worked like a charm once the system woke up.

Again, I'm using an X201T, not an X220, so I have no idea how much the hardware has changed from my setup to the newer machine. I know we use the same driver, but that's not necessarily an indicator of the same hardware.

What's DOS?
atommax

Install synaptics driver instead from here

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers

it fixes the problem for both the red dot and the trackpad. AND you get scybe also !

/Kristian

Fanfold Paper
Melman

Thanks for the link to the Synaptics driver atommax. Honestly - it doesn't seem to be a huge issue. Of the 35 we currently have running - it's only been an issue with one. However ir's definitely a big issue.  I'll test the links JameZ provided - and if those are all current, I hope the synaptics driver will resolve the issue.

Punch Card
nonsence

[ Edited ]

hi,

i am having the issue with the touchpad being jumpy when using the 90w slim ac adapter. works fine with the stock 65w

bios 1.26

driver 15.3.34.0

utility 2.13.0

i read others report this issue on the forums. anyone wants to further report the problem in this thread?

any suggestions for a fix? is the issue software, touchpad or ac adapter?

Moderator note; post merged, subject edited

Fanfold Paper
bhaineault

Interesting, but FWIW, I was having horrendous trackpad issues and I simply unplugged the stock charger. My trackpad started to work smoothly again. It was unusable when the AC power pack was connected. It kept on jerking around, clicking when I tried to move it, etc.

By the way, how do you now if it's the 90W power modulel? I am using the stock power pack P/N 41R4538 which came with my new X220t (Win 7 Pro x64).

I will continue to test this but IF running off the batteries fisex the issue then I'll dump this power pack and get another one. Hopefully, Lenovo will oblige.