Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
mattie_g
Accepted Solution

X220 not recognising wi-fi card?

[ Edited ]

Hi all

First post here, hello to everyone!

I've just received an X220 with 160Gb SSD, it was from the UK outlet site but was described as new.

It powered up nicely and W7 64bit Pro came up with a few setings to fix, but for some reason it will not find a wireless card.

It finds bluetooth, device manager and Lenovo's own network manager tools all find the bluetooth and ethernet, but no wi-fi.  The physical switch works (i.e. the machine recognises when it's on and off) and bluetooth turns off with the switch.  There's a small icon light for bluetooth and wi-fi, bluetooth lightdsup OK but the wi-fi has never lit up.

The standard build list shows 2 flavours of wi-fi, but I'm not sure if it's simply a wrong driver - surely the device manager in W7 would notice the card, even if it was faultily installed or disabled?

Any thoughts on how to fix?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: X220 not recognising wi-fi card?

go into your bios menu, under security and I/O port access make sure your wireless card is enabled.

If that don't work, maybe you should check whether the wireless card is connected and present, it is located under the palmrest.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
mattie_g

Re: X220 not recognising wi-fi card?

Ta for pointer - I'll have a look in BIOS tonight.

(Apols for putting in wrong forum, I googled to find the forum and didn't notice there was another for the non-tablet variants)

alex1906
Topics: 3
Kudos: 81
Solutions: 25

Re: X220 not recognizing wi-fi card?

Hello mattie_g,

Also check the device manager and see if there is a section with wireless on it.  There could also be a chance that if these don't fix the problem that the wireless card was not properly positioned in the computer.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

What we Do in Life will Echo through Eternity. -Maximus Aurelius
Paper Tape
mattie_g

Many thanks for advice - the Lenovo phone support managed to remote access the machine through an ethernet connection, and as they couldn't find the problem they booked a service engineer visit for tomorrow. Faulty hardware is suspected.
alex1906

[ Edited ]

That's great.

Let us know how it goes.

I'm very interested to know what the solution to your problem is.

Alex

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve the problem you encountered? Click Solution Provided to let us know!

Paper Tape
mattie_g

No card installed!

Apparently some outlet variants have funny configs if they're built for subsequently cancelled orders. The technician fitted a card and all's well.
alex1906

That would definitely be a good reason it wouldn't connect.

Now we know that some outlet variants have different configurations, as you previously stated.

I'm glad you got it fixed.

Alex

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

lot of machines for large companies have no wireless cards (or bluetooth, or wwan) present in the machine to increase corporate information security.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft