Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
Melykin

X220T: Part broken off

[ Edited ]

On the body of the computer there were two small plastic things sticking up.  One was just to the left of the "Tab" key and the other just to the right (and a bit up) from the "Enter" key.  There are two corresponding slots on the frame around the screen that the sticky-up things are supposed to go into when you close the laptop.  There are similar slots on the reverse side of the screen for when the computer is in tablet mode.  

Both these sticky-up plastic things have broken off.  I have had my tablet PC for about 4 months and I am very careful with it.  Now that they have broken off I sometimes feel the top part of the computer (the part that contains the screen) shift, or rotate a little, when I handle the PC either in tablet mode or when it is closed.  

Has anyone else had this problem?

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.

Community Moderator
richk

Re: Part broken off

It would help if you indicated what model you have.
Serial Port
bouvrie

Re: Part broken off

Yep, I got the same issue. I've got a Thinkpad X220T, and one of those caps semi-broke off. The cap seems to rely on 3 'plugs', that fit in 3 'holes' on the base to keep it in place.

In my case, one of those 3 plugs broke off, the rest just ejected from the holes. I superglue'd it in place, but yesterday the glue proved not to be too super, as it came off again.

Like you, I'm careful with my tablet PC (as I am with all my possessions) and infact only took it out 10 times since July 2011 when I bought it new. I'd have expected it not to come apart slightly after this time. :smileytongue:
Punch Card
wjyoung

Re: X220T: Part broken off

Happened here too; both those tabs broke off on my wife's x220t. Anyone got a part number for those things, or know how to get more of them?

Serial Port
Chimuel

[ Edited ]

They are not separate parts, they are actually attached to the Keyboard Bezel Assembly FRU Number: 04W1771. In my opinion, the weakest part of this unit... most of my friends' X220 bezel tabs have broken off over a few months' worth of use and only one of mine was loose (eventually broken at a service depot).

--

Chimuel

X220 Tablet Multitouch: Intel Core i7 2640m, 8GB RAM, 80GB Intel 310 Series mSata + 320GB 7200rpm 2.5", Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN, Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0, Fingerprint Reader, 720P Webcam, Battery 6-cell 52+ and 6-cell slice 19+
Punch Card
wjyoung

Thanks for the reply and for the part number.

What happened next? Did any of those keyboard bezel get replaced under warranty? Has anyone noticed a problem making do without those tabs?

My wife has managed to break off both tabs on her x220t. I wonder if it can be fixed under warranty, but she doesn't want to be without her laptop for that long.

Serial Port
Chimuel

Well since the service depot broke it they had to replace it... but it took a while to get them to do it. I actually just received my unit back yesterday with the keyboard bezel replaced.

--

Chimuel

X220 Tablet Multitouch: Intel Core i7 2640m, 8GB RAM, 80GB Intel 310 Series mSata + 320GB 7200rpm 2.5", Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN, Broadcom Bluetooth 3.0, Fingerprint Reader, 720P Webcam, Battery 6-cell 52+ and 6-cell slice 19+
Punch Card
wjyoung

Followup: my wife filed a warranty claim and got the part replace at a service depot that was close enough she could bike to it. The job did not take long: she came back two hours later with a fixed laptop. Thank you, Lenovo!