Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
MisterTablit
Accepted Solution

X61 Tablet Wireless Turns Off/Crashes on Screen Rotation

Strange new problem with my X61 (running vista, fully up to date, 4 gigs ram, etc.)

When I rotate it into slate mode, the wireless disconnects and refuses to reconnect properly until I reboot. I have verified this behavior many times. More confusing: the wireless connection icon in the right side of the task bar remains in connected mode, but if you click it, it will not give you the usual windows panel allowing you access to the networking screens. Stranger yet, if you physically shut off the radios with the switch on the front, the radio LED stays lit, and using Fn+F5 to bring up the radio screen, doesn't allow me to cycle the radio on or off either.

Possible cause: I have uninstalled "Access Connections" because it has been nothing but trouble for me: 

This may be a variation on the old "display cannot work in secondary landscape mode when wireless WAN" is active message that I used to get. Basically, this computer does not have wireless WAN, never has, but for some time, when I tried to use the screen in secondary landscape in slate mode, it would give me that message and turn the screen to some other orientation. This was obviously unacceptable, and I uninstalled access connections which seemed to solve the problem.

With a recent automatic lenovo update, it reinstalled access connections and started that problem again, which is why I uninstalled it yet again. But now, this.

Anyone see this? I seem to remember that screen orientation was alleged to be related to ActiveProtection (which was supposed to automatically sense the computer's orientation and spin the screen accordingly, something else that never worked on my machine ,which is why I also uninstalled that.)

It seems impossible to me that Lenovo could fudge up wireless wifi connectivity by writing software that links the radios to needless (nonfunctional) add-ons like shock protection, but the only thing that has changed over the past few days is my uninstall of these programs, so I can't think of any other reason this radio would suddenly be operating this way.

Paper Tape

Re: X61 Tablet Wireless Turns Off/Crashes on Screen Rotation

[ Edited ]

Funny that you should post this because I literally just registered for this forum so I could add a post for this exact problem (as well as a temporary fix) in the hopes that Lenovo would quickly remedy this situation.  I am kind of a tech newbie and only recently started troubleshooting my computer problems on my own so please excuse any lack of proper jargon during the course of this post. 

Anyway, the problem I thought (much like you) was the updated version of the Access Connections version 5.02 that was recently released by Lenovo that automatically updated to my tablet.  So I uninstalled 5.02 and reinstalled the older version 4.52.  After restarting my computer, I tried rotating my screen to tablet mode-->the wireless disabled, Access Connections froze, Wireless LED would stay lit, and it would kick me out of using secondary landscape mode with the wireless enabled even if I tried to turn the wireless off with the hard key on the front of the keyboard.  Same problem persisted exactly as you posted.  

I then went to my ThinkVantage System Update and looked at my update history to see what other recent updates might have been responsible.  I came across one called "Intel Wireless WiFi for Vista 32-bit" version 12.00.4000.  After doing some digging on the Lenovo website I found the driver:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70505

Anyway, I figured it would be worth rolling this update back to try and see if it resolved the problem since the date it updated and was installed on my computer was the exact same day I started noticing problems with my wireless while in slate mode.  Anyway, long story short I used the tutorial at the bottom of the driver page (pasted below) to access my Vista Device Manager to find the wireless driver and then roll it back to a previous version:

Determining which version is installed

1. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
  2. Click System and Maintenance.
  3. Click System. From the left pane, click Device Manager.
  4. Click Network Adapters.
  5. Double-click Intel(R) PRO Wireless WIFI Software.
  6. Click the Driver tab. The driver version will be displayed.
  7. (Now roll it back to previous version!) 

Ok.  So after completing this process I restarted and everything worked perfectly again.  However, I never reinstalled the new Access Connections version 5.02 and am still currently running the 4.52 driver.  I didn't want to mess with it anymore and push my luck by reinstalling the newer Access Connections 5.02 again since it seems to be working fine with 4.52. 

I am pretty sure after wasting three days on this trying to fix it the problem that the new "Intel Wireless WiFi for Vista 32-bit" driver version 12.00.4000 is responsible.  PLEASE if anyone from Lenovo reads this thread could we try and patch this driver ASAP?  I am a med student and this problem put my tablet out of proper working order for several days which was very frustrating since I rely on my tablet daily for taking notes and internet access in class and in clinic.  Luckily, I did find a solution albeit not really a permenant one.  Anyway, let me know if this helps--it worked for me and hopefully it will help anyone else out there with the same wireless/tablet issues.  Good luck--and thank you to Lenovo for any additional help with this.  

Message Edited by rett5 on 10-09-2008 12:07 PM
Message Edited by rett5 on 10-09-2008 12:11 PM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
MisterTablit

Thanks much for that rundown.

I used a restore point rollback and I *think* I'm OK so far, though the access connections stuff is still acting a bit funny.

Word of caution: I have had my computer get corrupted using restore point rollbacks when not doing them from safe mode. I think one should always boot to safe mode (use F8 during startup) and restore from there.

That puts me to wireless network adapter driver: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965 AGN, using driver 12.0.0.82.

I am finishing this post having ejected, flipped the screen, and reattached to home wireless, so

Paper Tape
PMBurton

My search terms in google brought me right to this thread and your description of the problem is EXACTLY what I am also having happen to me. I just got my X61t on Oct 24, 2008. 

I'm trying rolling back the driver as you suggested. However, instead of 'rolling back' I'm having the ThinkVantage upgrade manager do it for me. Because, curiously, when I go to updates, it actually wants to update my driver to the older one. So, I'm assuming they are aware of the problem and are pushing the older version to temporarily resolve this issue.

I hope that they determine how to make this work with the newer version of the driver because I'm guessing that Intel didn't release a newer driver just for fun. There is something worth having.

Hopefully this works. Otherwise I'll role back the Access Connections, or just delete it all together. Wireless zero utility works pretty well on its own, I can probably forego the fancy graphics displaying signal strengths. 

Paper Tape
PMBurton

So far, no success. Update Manager didn't update to older version for some reason. Then the driver roll back took me back to 1.1.1.11 or something, which didn't work at all. My wireless became almost useless. So then I uninstalled Access Connection, and things were still slow and crashed on screen rotate. So I tried the latest driver, 1.0.0.82.... Still crashed on screen rotate. So I'm back with access connections 5.02 and 1.0.0.82. I guess I'll just suffer until someone comes up with a proper fix.

Maybe it didn't work for me because I have the Sierra Wireless 1xEVDO adapter. Which as mentioned earlier gets disabled when switching into Tablet (However I use secondary Portrait, not landscape).

I don't know. It's all too confusing. I'm still trying to get used to having all this Lenovo software that basically doesn't add functionality, just prettiness, and accessibility to options.

Paper Tape
PMBurton

Well, I'm now using Access Connections 4.52 and Wireless driver 12.0.0.82, with no success.

I've narrowed the problem a bit more, but it doesn't exactly tell me what the problem is. From Standard to Slate, the wireless continues to work. The problem arises when going from Slate to normal. Wireless crashes within 10 seconds and only a restart can fix the problem. I've tried stopping the service from the services.msc menu, as well as closing all the access connections programs and then restarting them. Like I said before, I don't think problem originates from access connections itself. Can anyone suggest a wifi driver that actually works?

For now my testing will try different combinations while having the WWAN device actually disabled. Not just powered off.

Pierre

Paper Tape
PMBurton

Well I update to the latest Intel driver far the 4965 AGN from their website ( 12.1.0.14)

It seems to be working now.

Pierre

What's DOS?
berkeley

I have the same problem!  All sorts of problems with the wireless on an essentially brand-new computer.

I also cannot put the computer to sleep after wireless turns off.  Have others noticed this problem?

The new driver seems to be available at:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2753&DwnldID=16971&strOSs=...*%20Business,%2032-bit%20version&lang=eng

Intel recommends getting it directly from Lenovo site.  But Lenovo doesn't yet offer 12.1. 

Paper Tape
garygrun

I had the same problem after updating my software. Almost sent the tablet back!

Did a full restore, shutoff automatic updates and only updated to the working drivers that were suggested. No problems ever since.

Two questions:

Why didn't the Lenovo tech know what was happenig?Do they know now?

Should I do this recent update or leave well enough alone?

Regards

Gary

mag
What's DOS?
mag

I don't need to flip the screen or ANYTHING to have my wireless radio shut itself off and disappear. I generally have to uninstall and reinstall from the device manager. It sometimes takes 5-6 tries to get the thing to uninstall, and two or three restarts to get it to reinstall itself.

Other issues with my X61 tablet include losing power while in hibernate mode (yes, hibernate, not sleep), and at least once failing to shut down and getting blazing hot. Boot times, shutdown times, and even hibernation and wake-up times are exasperating. All in all, Lenovo stands a good chance of making a Mac user out of me!