Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lenovo Staff
Ken

Re: AC power adapter and CPU throttling

I don't want this to go down a rabbit hole, but I didn't suggest anyone store their battery at full charge. Leaving your battery at full charge is a well know source of battery degradation. Leaving your pack at 50% and inserted into your systems will allow the typical pack to last for years. Plus you'll have the benefit of having your battery with you in case you need it. Going the extra mile to remove it from the system is noise within the degradation variation curve. Some cells are more sensitive to this and others are not.

One risk if you remove your pack from your system is that you have to periodically recharge it to 40%-50% to keep it healthy.

Token Ring
jyeah

[ Edited ]

"I recommend you go into Power Manager and set your battery charge thresholds to: Start charging at 40% and Stop charging at 50%. This is more healthy for the pack compared to charging it to full and placing it on a shelf."

My apologies Ken for saying that you suggested that. I should have said, "as Ken have mentioned," in my earlier post, since I brought it up in the first place because it was a bad comparison between storing a battery versus actually using it.

It's more convenient to leave the battery in the laptop and might be useful when you actually need the battery, I agree. However, some of the Thinkpads do run hot under load and to "store" a battery beside a heat source is not the best idea for people who don't intend to use the battery in the first place (for whatever reason).

Added to the possibility, some people don't like to install Lenovo's pre-built software for whatever reason (or they removed it), so they can't set battery charging thresholds.

Anyways, I agree with Erik that it all comes down to statistics. However, customers that buy the system, as minority as they may seem (referring to how they use their systems), are not just numbers on papers that can be ignored simply because they are don't make up a signficant portion of your profit. I think this is what truly sets a customer service oriented company apart from companies like asus that offer barebones customer support. I think just a clear note in the system's manual saying," when the battery is pulled out the system will be throttled by design," will clear up any confusion. Since people weren't told first, so they think it's something wrong with the system and any explanation offered afterwards usually make them feel like the manufacturer is just too lazy to fix a "non-existent" problem.

Paper Tape
Rhyzopus

[ Edited ]

On my X220 processor constantly working at the lowest frequency (800 MHz in my case) when I use AC power adapter only (without battery). It is does not depends on Power Manager settings. I have tryed Windows power plan - same results. Any solutions to this problem so far?

(mod edit: changed title of post to match thread)

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

Rhyzopus wrote:

On my X220 processor constantly working at the lowest frequency (800 MHz in my case) when I use AC power adapter only (without battery). It is does not depends on Power Manager settings. I have tryed Windows power plan - same results. Any solutions to this problem so far?

welcome to the forum!

your particular issue comes from running your system without the battery.   it's simply not designed to be used that way.   this is a different issue than what the OP is talking about.

if your intent is to save your battery, please read this post: /t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Buyer-Beware-Your-power-adapter-may-be-cheating-you/m-p/427207/...

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Paper Tape
Rhyzopus

[ Edited ]

Thanks for reply. I understand issue about the battery. I am OK with it, if it is DESIGNED this way. But I feel bad than other people report that thay do not have this problem at all. So why are all units different?

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

disable speedstep in the BIOS and you should be able to get your base processor speed (ie: 2.5 GHz) when on the 65W adapter.   you'll need a 90W adapter to be able to reach full "turbo" clock speed without a battery.

Paper Tape
Rhyzopus

[ Edited ]

No, it is fine, I am ok with using my battery. Anyway It will not last forever.

BTW, how to check, does my x220 have throttling problem, discribed above or not?

Punch Card
reg1

[ Edited ]

sorry, but can one use a 90 W dapter instead of a 65 w for a X220 without any problem ?

community supermod
erik

[ Edited ]

Rhyzopus - to be blunt, if you aren't noticing any problems then there's no reason to go looking for them.   i've not had any throttling issues on my X220 that i've ever noticed.   very few have mentioned that particular event so at this point i wouldn't consider it an issue.

reg1 - yes, you can use a 90W adapter with the X220 if you want.   personally, i'd just create a good battery charging profile and use the 65W since it's much smaller, lighter, and easier to pack.

Fanfold Paper
kccheng

Re: Buyer Beware! - Your power adapter may be cheating you!

[ Edited ]

Hi ibm,

Thanks for the useful info, although it's too late for me :-(

I'm with you "it's by DESIGN" is not the answer.

I recently throw away my 3 years' old x61 battery

because NOBODY tell me it's a required part of my x61 even it's almost

useless (I can only run my x61 without AC for only ... 2 min. maybe less).

Guess why I find this discussion here ?

I spent a lot time try to figure out why my x61 suddenly can't get its

full speed !!  And now I know ...

I'm VERY upset with this situation ... now I'm FORCE to order another

battery, or even I have a powerful CPU I can't use it !!  Does anyone really

consider this is a normal design ?

My argument is very simple.  When people order a standard x61 pack which

comes with a battery and a AC power, what's in customer's mind is

you can use either battery or AC power only.   One or the other, but not both.

If x61 requires both, at least you should tell your customer you can't

throw away the battery (to save the weight) even it's not working anymore.

Does this information document in manual ?  If it is in manual and I don't

read it ... you can say it's my fault (well, I did not read the whole manual).

But if this is not documented, it's hard for me to accept that it's just designed to

use that way.