Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
bylund

X61T with new BIOS 2.13 overheats

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded and installed BIOS v. 2.13 for my X61 with Windows Vista (I like to keep the computer updated). The first thing that happened after I restarted after installing the BIOS was that it overheated and Windows automatically shut down (to avoid damage to hardware?). It seems this new BIOS version isn't very well tested, just like so many updates from Lenovo. I cannot recommend updating to the new BIOS version.

Per Bylund

Moderator Edit:  Updated Topic title to X61T
Token Ring
bylund

Re: X61 with new BIOS 2.13 overheats

Well, I have never had any problems with my X61 overheating (even though it gets quite hot) until I installed the 2.13 BIOS. Directly after the install Windows shut down automatically twice. After that I haven't experienced any problems. Might it be a temporary problem?
Serial Port
hiker

[ Edited ]
I am having the same problem with a 7764-CTO X61 Tablet over the last ten days which is related to some change. Possibly the BIOS upgrade which was around that point. The symptom is a sudden and immediate shutdown during intensive operations such as iTunes synchronization, heavy installs (AutoCad in this case) and any lengthy video (Media Player).

The heat is extreme. The back of the machine is uncomfortable to the touch and the video port and USB ports on the left of the machine are hot. But above all it shuts down hard and very fast (Maybe one second). Sometimes it will need to cool a while before being restarted otherwise the failures are repeated. Running the system in the UltraBay appears to make matters worse. Possibly due to reduced airflow on the under side. This system has a Duo L7500 CPU @ 1.6 Ghz with 2Gb memory and 3.7Gb ReadyBoost via a card in the SD socket (In case that makes any difference). I have the 3945ABG wireless card and Intel TurboMemory (ReadyBoost disabled). I am using the 65W power supplies both when on the dock and not. I have now ordered the higher capacity supply to see if that makes a difference.

The stability problem is severe. I don't think I had seen over heating prior to two weeks ago but it may have shut down once or twice earlier in the year while playing lengthy videos for unknown reasons. At that time other issues prevailed.

The recent stability problems from over heating are severe with shutdowns several times per day and I have stopped playing video or synchronizing the iPod while the machine is hot or in the UltraBase as the failure is fairly repeatable.

I'm investigation the 42X3806 second fan designed for the X61s and which the 7764 X61 probably lacks the power connector for. It only fits some other X61 models but there is a PCI connector from which it may be possible to create a cable. Haven't opened the case yet as I am hoping for some software or firmware fix.

What model and spec are others seeing this problem with? I think it will take a while for people to realize this is caused by over heating. I initially thought the problem was caused by the latest iTunes update but then found that other situations caused the symptoms as well so some other change early this month (May 08) caused the problem. Quite possibly as you say the second BIOS update.

Message Edited by hiker on 05-16-2008 12:22 AM
Paper Tape
akshaygupta

I started having the same problem recently, with frequent instantaneous shutdowns.  I have a 7764-CTO x61 tablet as well, a Duo L7500 CPU @ 1.6 Ghz processor,  2Gb memory, BIOS Version LENOVO 7SET36WW (1.22 ) dated 11-27-2008, and Vista Business.

Did anyone ever figure out the cause or resolution?

Serial Port
Stansfield

[ Edited ]

I have an X61 Tablet too (7764-CTO), and I've got the same problem, which definitely started after the BIOS update to 1.23.

I am in contact with a local Lenovo service, and they're trying to figure it out as we speak.

Didier, who is dealing with my situation, is eliminating all the possible causes of the problem. He has two ideas for now.

1) On Thursday he's going to remove a plastic element from the fan assembly, which is known to cause problems. Here is his description:

"When I've done the thermal reset of the CPU, I've take out the CPU fan assembly. It's normal.
And I'm remember the area coming against the chipset circuit has a plastic square between the chip and the thermal grease.
I've found a (sub) description about this fan assembly where Lenovo/IBM wrote when this plastic is present, it's important to take out because the heatsink is not performing at 100% if the plastic is present. It's maybe the origine of the issue, like I don't understanding why the temperature of the chipset IC is not too much high following your thermal detection software.
But it's not impossible than the chipset IC, when becoming a little hot, is causing an overload of process to the CPU. And this last can come quickly hot than the chipset IC.
Be sure I'll take out the plastic square when I'll replacing the fan assembly."

2) A possible reason of the problem, connected to the BIOS update, is what was written on the page with the 1.23 update: If you use Windows Vista, before applying this BIOS into the system, you should install Windows Vista KB 937500.  

I don't know how about you, but I've tried installing it, and got a message saying "the update is not compatible with my system". What I did was to install it manually, from the command prompt, skipping any messages. I was hoping it would install then, but maybe it didn't? I told this to Didier and I'm awaiting his response. This could be a cause of the problem, maybe others don't have it because they installed the KB without any problems?
So, did you all manage to install it, or also had some isues with it? This info could help a lot.
Anyway, I'll keep you posted if Didier or I come to any solution.
Cheers

---
Polish by birth, Bruxellois by home, European at heart... but underneath all that, a proud owner of one of the earliest and still best X61 Tablets: 7764-CTO, SuperView SXGA+, 4GB Kingston HyperX 4-4-4-12 SDRAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Community SuperMod
bananaman

[ Edited ]

Hi Stansfield, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Sorry to hear about your overheating problem.

You can scratch #2 if you have Vista SP1 or later. That hotfix, 937500, is included in SP1.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
Stansfield

Darn, I've got SP2 even.

I forwarded your post to Didier from the service.

Thanks!

---
Polish by birth, Bruxellois by home, European at heart... but underneath all that, a proud owner of one of the earliest and still best X61 Tablets: 7764-CTO, SuperView SXGA+, 4GB Kingston HyperX 4-4-4-12 SDRAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Serial Port
Stansfield

[ Edited ]

So, update, and quite a good one too!

Just got my X61t back from a few hours at the service. The BIOS problem was transfered to the Lenovo EMEA Engineering Dept, and typically there should be an answer within 2-3 days. I'll update you when there is one.

The good news is though that Didier replaced my fan assembly, and - what's most important - removed the plastic square element he mentioned earlier. I'm pretty sure that replacing the fan assembly didn't change much, as it was practially brand new (they've replaced it a few months ago as it burned down:/). BUT, the temperature is clearly lower now! Not back to it's orginal levels, mind you, but lower by at least 5-10 degrees! Before the operation the CPU on a standard load (a few typical apps running, so let's say 15-20%) was around 65 degrees. Now it hardly reaches 50-55! Really, I'm impressed how much this small thing changed the situation!

(just for reference, before the BIOS update the temp was around 45 degrees)

So, all you people with the overheating problem, if you don't want to wait for a software/BIOS solution (which will hopefully come too sooner or later), go to your Lenovo service and ask them to remove the plastic thingie from the fan assembly (and better replace the whole thing too, it's free anyway:smileyhappy:). It really did miracles to my X61!

Well, hope this helps! Cheers

PS. if you're from Belgium, go to Samap in Brussels and ask for Didier, he is the miracle worker here, as the idea was totally his! Bravo!

---
Serial Port
Stansfield

[ Edited ]

Dear All, hopefully I've got the final answer to the problem!

From Lenovo:

1.23 is not the latest BIOS, there is version 1.24 avaialble at our support pages:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68005

Have they had a chance to test with this one?

Best Regards,

Milos xxxxxx

Technical Case Co-ordinator
Lenovo Large Account Support Team

---

I've just updated it, for now the core temps seem reasonable. 47-49 at idle, 54-56 at 40% constant load. I'm not sure though which helped the most, the removal of the plastic element from the fan assembly or the BIOS update..

Will let you know how my tests turn out :smileyhappy:

cheers

Moderator note; full name of Lenovo employee edited.

---
Serial Port
Stansfield

Just to confirm, been running some demanding apps for the last 15 minutes (video conversion etc), so the CPU load is constantly 96-100%, an the core temp doesn't exceed 67 degrees! Definitely not the 88 degrees it used to be.

Problem solved! :smileyhappy:

---