Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
dlb68

XP Tablet OS repair

Hello,

I have a X200 Thinkpad, running Windows XP Tablet. I need to perform a repair on the OS, but can't figure out how to do it. I can access the Rescue and Recovery console, but the button is grayed out, the one for repairing the OS.

I do not have a recovery CD, but I am considering purchasing one from Lenovo, if it will allow me to perform an OS repair?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 238

Re: XP Tablet OS repair

You're right, there is no option for a repair in the rescue and recovery console.   I'm not to sure how recovery cd's are set up, but I doubt there is going to be a repair option in them.  As far as I know, you'll end up wiping the drive before you know what happened.

The restore discs for the older machines, such as Dells and Gateways were actually the OS discs, and you could do a repair with those, but those are getting hard to find.  I would still get the restore discs from Lenovo because if you can't manage a repair then you might have to do a reinstall anyway.

What's wrong anyway?  Won't boot?  

You can do a repair with a retail disc.  You just can't do a repair install with one coz your key won't work with that.  

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
dlb68

Thanks for the response.

I agree, I might get the recovery CD anyway, just to have it on-hand.

In the Rescue and Recovery console, it appears I can do a Factory Reset, which I assume is essentially the same as wiping the drive. I have a good backup of the user data, so I might end up doing that. I would prefer doing a OS repair of course. I don't have any XP Tablet cd's, but I do have XP Pro cd's... would they work? For the purposes of performing an OS repair?

The machine boots fine. The problem is... it got hit with some malware, and I was able to clean it up, but there was some collateral damage. For example, when you try to open IE, you get asked "what program would you like to use", etc. If you try to open Add/Remove Programs, you get an error about a missing rundll32, or something like that. I've dealt with this before, on regular XP machines, and a Windows repair always does the trick.

I appreciate your help!

topmahof

I think it would depend on how extensive a repair you have to do.  The xp pro disc might think that the tablet features need fixed and you would end up with xp pro with no tablet features.  If it was just re-writing the boot files, it might work.  I used a gateway tablet cd restore disc to do a repair on an hp and it worked, I just never tried to use an xp pro disc on a tablet.  

The factory reset would wipe the drive.  

Do you know when exactly you got hit with the malware?  Are there any system restore points beyond that?  I would hate to see you put malware back on your system by using system restore but it could be an option.  You would have to be sure you're going back far enough though.    

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
dlb68

I have no system restore points, unfortunately. I will make sure there are restore points in the future!

Here's what I ended up doing yesterday to fix this... I did the factory reset, and copied the user's data from the backup I had made a couples days ago, and all is well.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!!!!!

topmahof

[ Edited ]

At least you were able to get in and do a reset, great. 

How about marking your last post as solution so others can find it?