Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
musicfan1616

new X61 connects to wireless at home, but not at work

I received my new X61 last night and it worked great at home - connected up to my wireless network no problem whatsoever...

Today I took it to our small office and I can't get it to connect to the wireless network...

I even tried swapping out a router for another one that another of the guys here had, and it won't connect to that router either... All other computers connect without problems to both of these routers at work - only the X61 will not...

The X61 sees the networks, and tries to connect, but always fails in the "waiting for association" part and then gives me the button "help me fix this" which takes me to diagnostics...

Both routers at work that we tried today are linksys, one a wirelessG and one a wirelessN...

Any ideas? Thanks! 

802.11n
sipp11

Re: new X61 connects to wireless at home, but not at work

I think the problem is it doesn't have enough signal strength to communicate with the router.

Since Lenovo set wireless power saving mode as maximum power saving as a default, most users will find hard time to connect to the network. All you have to do is go to Power Manager (if you use ThinkVantage Power Manager) or Power Options in Control Panel (if you are not using Lenovo power manager)

Then go to the profile you are using, edit, check at advance setting. You will find the option about Wireless adapter setting. Then set it as Maximum Performance and save it.

You may not notice this improvement immediately, just restart once and let it take time a bit. You will be able to connect most network without any problem.

What's DOS?
musicfan1616

I thought that might be it, too... I changed the setting to maximum performance and actually went 2 feet from the router to try it... I should also mention that the internet connection works if I plug in via ethernet to either of the linksys routers, and it recognizes the networks of both routers, but it simply will not connect...

It is not a security issue either, as tested with the security authentication disabled on both routers, and I still couldn't connect....

Thanks! 

Punch Card
pcpro

Your work routers may be using authentication, encryption, or mac access control lists...  Have you checked all of these?

Hope this helps...

Dan

"pcpro" 

What's DOS?
musicfan1616

mac is disabled

the security was 128bit WEP, but I disabled it completely (making it an unsecure network) and it still wouldn't connect... 

Token Ring
ctoys

I had a similar issue, removed and reinstalled Access Connections and that helped some.   Still doesn't switch automatically like it should by the settings.   One more thing to check is that if you are using ThinkAdvantage Access Connections as your primary software for connections, be sure the Windows connection is unchecked in Properties for "Wireless Connection x"  in Network Connections.  Even if you see the network, conflicting settings can cause issues. 

If you still have issues, try connecting different ways, using the Windows connection software instead of Access Connections or searching for wireless networks and clicking on the one you want.   This may narrow down your problem. 

Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
What's DOS?
musicfan1616

well, here's the update...

I went home and celebrated my son's second birthday last night... 

after bedtime, the lenovo booted up and connected to my home network... checked the settings of my home network, but didn't see anything useful... went to bed...

this morning, went to work, powered up the lenovo X61, and it automatically connected to the work network... I swear not one thing was touched in my lenovo settings or in the router at work... I know that sounds impossible, but that's what happened...

And is stayed connected all day, no matter how many times I powered the computer or the router down and back up again...

Totally weird, but it is working :-) 

Token Ring
ctoys

Is it possible that some wireless setting change did not take place until after you rebooted?
Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
What's DOS?
musicfan1616

that does make sense, although I do not remember ever seeing a message along the lines of "must reboot for settings changes to take effect" or anything, nor do I remember Windows having updates to install... but perhaps that is what happened...