Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
John82

pen stops working randomly

We purchased about 8 lenovo x220s for a new medical clinic and they all intermittantly the stylus stops working for several minutes at a time.  I've tried all the lenovo updates and turned the power settings to highest performance, but haven't found a remedy.  It seems like out of an 8 hour work day 2-3 of them will each malfunction once.  they are running win7 64bit.  We never had this problem with previous models. 

Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: pen stops working randomly

John82,

Please try to update the following manually rather than relying on TVSU as there could be some delay of drivers using TVSU.

BIOS 1.19 and above -> Link here

Tablet Shortcut Menu -> Link here

Screen Reading Optimizer -> Link here

Power Manager 3.62 and above -> Link here

UltraNav Driver-> Link here

UltraNav Utility -> Link here

Hotkey package -> Link here

Also when the pen stop responding, does the whole system freeze or only the tablet does not accept pen input?

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
John82

[ Edited ]

The tablet just stops accepting pen input, you can still move the mouse with the touch pad or rubber thing.  We tried the bios, tablet shortcut menu, and power manager updates that you had posted on someone else's post that was having problems with the stylus.  I guess we will try the others, though I am not optimistic as they do not address our issue specifically.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@John82,

Lets try updating the softwares first, if else fails, I would want to get a case going to engineering on this. Might need to ship in 1 of your tablet if they aren't able to replicate this at their end.

Also am wondering are there any software which you use which might have caused this? There are many X220 tablet discussions however you are the first who is reporting this issue.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Fanfold Paper
John82

the only thing in common is that they have all joined our domain and they use RDP.  but, the x201's are setup the same way and have never had this issue, we have rougly 30 of them.  W installed this one yesterday http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013724  Ill let you know if it works.

Paper Tape
Goodjoints

I have been having this same random problem so you are not alone. I also have the touchpad problem and the inaccurate screen edge problem. About the only good thing about my brand new (ok 3 month old) x220t is the battery life and the fast processor which is why I am still using this incomplete computer instead of my very old motioncomputer. At my office over the years we have gone through 7 montioncomputers, one fujitsiu and one HP. I will not buy another lenovo. Too much trouble shooting needed.
Retired Employee
JameZ

Thanks John82, Do keep me posted.

@Goodjoints,

Inaccurate screen edge problem is being looked at by engineering. As for the touchpad issue on the X220t, appreciate if you can this thread if you haven't already done so.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-Tablet-touchpad-issues/td-p/445579

//JameZ

Fanfold Paper
John82

Well, I found a work around yesterday, when it happens. If you press the middle button on the screen, the one with the refresh looking symbol, the pen starts working again. 

P.S.. the backlight in one of the screens went out yesterday. We have dozens, if not a hundred of x60s and x201s for years  without as many problems as we have had with these x220s so far.  Not real happy with Lenovo at the moment. 

Also, I tried to put a different wireless card in one of the computers hoping it would help some wifi problems we have been having, but apparently lenovo doesn't let you do that.   Why do they restrict what kind of wireless cards I can use?

What's DOS?
hwt101

Same issue that I am having will try the software updates as well as the refresh option.
Retired Employee
JameZ

@John82,

Appreciate if you can take a pic of the refresh looking symbol and share it with us?

//JameZ