Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
chiekurs

problem with x60 sound

I have a nasty problem with my laptop - it doesnt play sound. It's not able to play any sound!

I have no idea what caused this but I sure know that I've tried everything and it wont go away.

I cant play mp3 I cant play video. For instance when I play video in WMP says "can not find file" with 2 options close and online help while video image is played on background.

Obviously software can access file but somehow it's not capable of playing it's sound. 

If I go to control panel Sound section and try to test speakers I get propmp "Filed to play test tone" with no further explination.

I'm kindof sick of this error and I would be grateful if someone could point me to solution.

And yes I have installed all possible system updates.

Oh one more thing - keyboard ligt button (Fn + PgUp) doesnt work from day one, no matter how many times I press it it's always off. Maybe thats some kind of harware failure? or bios? 

community supermod
erik

Re: problem with x60 sound

[ Edited ]

welcome to the forum!

regarding sound, have you checked the device manager (devmgmt.msc) to see if the driver is properly installed?   what operating system are you using?

regarding the thinklight, if you have a tablet then your system doesn't have a thinklight.   on tablets, pressing Fn+PgUp will show a light with a slash through it on the on-screen display.

(edited for clarification)

Message Edited by erik on 12-30-2008 09:40 PM

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Paper Tape
chiekurs

[ Edited ]

Hey!

Thanks for reply.

I have Vista and I have checked device manager. It seems perfectly alright.

I even tried to update sound card driver and failed with message that I already have the most recent one.

Message Edited by chiekurs on 12-31-2008 01:34 AM
community supermod
erik

uninstall the audio driver via device manager and restart.   when your system boots back up, cancel out of any "found new hardware" messages and either run thinkvantage system update to replace the driver or download it here and run it manually.

this may or may not help but it's worth a try.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Paper Tape
chiekurs

Just tried to do what you suggested.

First of all as I restarted computer vista plug and play gave me no chance to cancel it's work and it went on as it wanted.

After that I manually executed file you pointed to and it installed with no problem. Though it didnt gave me any improvements.

Paper Tape
rpalko3

I have the same problem.  I had sound for a year and then all of a sudden, no sound.  Even our IT guy is numbfounded.  Any ideas as to what may have happened and what I can do to restore sound?   

What's DOS?
greentoad

Same with me. Sound stopped working for no reason. Would appreciate any advice from those who may have similar problem resolved by now

What's DOS?
dak8844

Hello, I thought this occurred with me and I started trouble-shooting to no avail. Then I discovered 3 round silver buttons to the left of the blue thinkvantage button. They have to do with sound. When I pressed either of the right 2 buttons the sound returned. The left-most button mutes sound. Maybe that inadvertently got pressed?
What's DOS?
regentlee

I had the same problem and was very frustrated that sound couldn't work. However, I followed the instruction on the support webpage and eventually got it working again.

I think the key is to:

1. install directx 9

2. download the driver from the suppor webpage

3. run the setup.exe file from window explorer (or cmd) - doesn't work if you just try to update the driver in device manager

4. soundmax setup will ask you to delete the previous driver - do so

5. when you restart the comptuer, do not let windows automatically install the audio driver - cancel it

6. no run the soundmax setup again.

7. fingers crossed, you miht get sound now!

What's DOS?
tern

What about window 7? I dont see audio driver for Window7