Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
scout
Accepted Solution

x200 Wacom Serial Pen Tablet in Windows 7

The touch device on our x200 tablets has always been called Wacom Serial Pen Tablet.  Works fine in XP.  I'm trying to get one working with Windows 7 now.  The "multitouch" driver from Lenovo doesn't work (I don't think these tablets are multitouch anyways) and the driver straight from Wacom results in a BSOD.  The "Wacom Serial Pen Tablet" driver apparently comes with Windows 7, because it's there if I manually choose a driver.  I once got it to work forcing it to use that driver, but now after reinstalling again it just says the device cannot start.  Any ideas?

Paper Tape
brdart

Re: x200 Wacom Serial Pen Tablet in Windows 7

Have you found a solution to this problem yet? I am having the same issue and have tried multiple suggestions I've found online, but to no avail. I'd rather not go back to XP, but I'm getting there.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 347
Solutions: 233

tablet features should have worked immediately.  you shouldn't have had to install any drivers at all.  it's built into windows 7.  i put windows 7 on 2 tablets so far and the pen worked right when it was done loading.  you could try uninstalling the driver and then rebooting and then windows update should give you a new driver.  i looked up my driver and it says that it is provided by microsoft.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Blue Screen Again
scout

I have an update on this, and it's very strange. 

On another x200 (completely identical model), I did a fresh Windows 7 install.  The pen worked immediately.  I put that hard drive in the original x200, and the pen still works!

On the original x200, I do a fresh Windows 7 install, and as usual, pen does't work.  Device cannot start.  I put that hard drive in the other x200, it installs something, requires me to restart, then the pen works!  I put it back in the original x200, and it still works.

I have no idea what would be different between these two laptops, BIOS is up to date on both.  What would Windows be doing on the other x200 that makes it work on the original x200...

Blue Screen Again
carlson

Trying to upgrade my X200T (7448-CTO) from Vista 64-bit to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit doing a clean install followed by running the Lenovo System Update 4 utility. I have not yet installed SP1 for Win 7. I have the exact problem described in the original post. I do not have a 2nd X200T to try out the "fix". Device manager says that the "Wacom Serial Pen Tablet" device status is "This device cannot start. (Code 10). I see a driver from Microsoft dated 6/21/2006 version 6.1.7600.16385. The computer properties shows "No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display".

Could I get a driver version number from someone who has this working on Windows 7 64-bit?

If I revert to Vista Business 64-bit the pen works so this is not a hardware problem. Using the latest Wacom driver results in an immediate blue screen when I tap the screen with the pen. 

HDMI
hp79

My X61T didn't work right away with Windows 7 installation. I had to install the Wacom driver from Lenovo, and not the one from optional Windows Update. If I install the Wacom driver from Windows Update, it intermittently caused to stop responding to digitizer and mouse.
Blue Screen Again
carlson

Do you have the link to the exact driver from Lenovo? I'd like to try that.

Some strange progress:

• After running the lenovo system update 4 but before Win 7 SP1 I got a batch of Windows Updates and one of them a few HID-compliant device and the Wacom penabled minidriver (3.1.1.2 12/20/2010) under "Human Interface Devices" in the Device Manager. It made the Device Manager stop complaining but the pen still doesn't work.
  • If I use the Enhanced Multitouch driver I do the System will say "Pen input available" when I do a Computer->Properties. However I'll immediately blue screen once I put the stylus to the screen. Once I uninstalled that I got back to a regular non-functioning stylus.

It looks like the "Wacom Penabled MiniDriver" is the replacement for "Wacom Serial Pen Tablet" according to Windows Update but neither seem to work. :smileysad: I've run out of things to try at this point.

HDMI
hp79

Why don't you try searching for your drivers on http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

You have to put in your model number and such, and select Windows 7 for OS. Then it should show all the drivers for your model.

If I were you, I would try a clean install, and just manually install the drivers downloaded from lenovo only, and leave out the Windows Update for a while.

Blue Screen Again
scout

I had tried every driver under the sun.  Even installing a fresh XP had the same problem, so it wasn't a Win7 issue.  I ended up convincing Lenovo (which wasn't easy) that there had to be something wrong hardware-wise with that x200.  I think they replaced the screen, maybe the mainboard too, but it works fine now, with the default Windows 7 drivers.  The driver is Wacom Serial Pen Tablet, Microsoft, 6.1.7600.16385.

Blue Screen Again
carlson

I'm officially giving up having installed and re-installed Win7 three times with different variations in sequencing of updating both through Lenovo and through Microsoft. No combination of drivers have ever produced a working pen on my 7448-CTO X200T. The closest I got was to get the OS to read "Pen Input Available" under Computer->Properties, but nothing would happen.

I've uncovered what I believe to be the crux of the issue. The X200T wacom tablet runs on serial drivers and for Win 7 Wacom/Lenovo may not be properly supporting serial pens any more via their drivers. I'm piecing this together for my specific case based on reading this post and through what I've seen not work. However, I've yet to find a consistent story that matches everything I've experienced.

From Jack ZHang's blog I got the most useful help to this problem:

"Major Update and a somewhat working Solution (Updated 9/17/2010):

I found out that the Wacom Bamboo drivers 510-4 and anything between that and 505-7 work fine on my tablet. Anything newer will prevent the driver from functioning properly. (The technical details say that the Hardware Id for my digitizer, WACF00C, had it's driver change from a "Penabed" driver to a "Dual Touch/Two Finger Touch" driver, breaking it's functionality...) But even with the proper drivers, it's not a plain and simple install. Run the Install once, then, if Windows promprts you to restart, restart. Then, look in your Device Manager to see if you have an unknown device. If you don't, brilliant. If you do, just use the plain old install through the "Have Disk" method and select the wisdpen.inf in system32/64/drivers. Restart and then run the Installer one final time.

As far as applications go, Photoshop and GIMP (and pretty much all non-Microsoft apps) are a no go on the pressure sensitivity and OneNote is a go for pressure sensitivity. This could be due to the fact I'm on a CCFL based screen (my specific model # for the tablet is 7449-9EU) and the pressure sensitivity fixes for everyone else only apply for LED backlit or Dual Touch screens...

Is this at all intentional? Screwing everyone that bought a CCFL based x200t while everyone else with LED and Dual Touch get that capability through a fix? Get your stuff together Wacom and Lenovo and grow a pair.

Blog posts like these also infuriate me to no end, seeing everyone but me getting the pressure sensitivity working:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/22915-x200-touch-screen-wacom-tabl...

http://fox-orian.deviantart.com/journal/34805101/"

I have the LED screen and this did not work for me. The Wacom Serial Pen Tablet driver just remains errored with a Code 10 no matter what I do. Everything else about the tablet seems to work perfectly, but the pen. Reverting to Windows Vista as I obviously the whole point of a tabletpc is to be able to use it as a tablet, but I'm really disappointed that this machine seems to have reached a dead end for upgrading while even X61 users have found a path forward. :smileymad: