Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
Azfargh

x220T: 16Gb RAM are any good?

Well, since the x220t hardware is already getting obsolete, I wanna make sure to buy this model at it´s peak of performace (for 3D modeling, CAD and games like Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, etc).

I did this topic sometime ago and didn´t gone with an clear answer: I was asking for the best config... 8Gb DDR3 1866MHz or 16Gb DDR3 1333MHz. for an x220t.

But, since the price drop of the RAM chipsets and the computer itself, I´m willing to buy the best config possible and don´t make my first laptop go too far behind.

So... 16Gb it´s really something for a gamer and 3D modeler? 8Gb with 1866MHz would be better than 16Gb?

Thanks for your time.

ps: I´m only willing to buy this thinkpad model... loved the tablet function.

Token Ring
bladebarrier

Re: x220T: 16Gb RAM are any good?

I can't imagine you'll ever need more than 8gb for games like starcraft or diablo 3.

I can't comment on the CAD part. I suppose it would depend on how massive the files you're working with are, and how much multitasking you have going at the same time.

Getting a good SSD would probably be the first big boost in speed you'll see.

I can also say first hand, that this is not a gaming machine. I have run diablo 3 on my X220T (8gb RAM, SSD, i7), and it's fine at medium to high on single player, but I would imagine that in a full multiplayer game when the action starts really going crazy, you'll need to be on all low settings, or close to it.

I can run SWTOR fine on low settings (shadows off). FIFA 12, NBA 2K12, world of warcraft, and so on will all run fine, and can be turned up nicely. None of those will need more than 8 gigs of RAM either. 

If you're thinking of getting 16 gigs of RAM to "future proof" it for gaming, you likely won't be able to run any of the games that would benefit from that anyways, only because the HD 3000 is pretty bad for gaming.

With all that said, I really love being able to turn the screen around for controller based games like FIFA, to have it right up close (keyboard behind it). Games that need only a mouse, like Civ 5, are also great in that regard, because you can play them in tablet mode, or tablet-with-a-built-in-stand mode and go touch screen with them.

SCSI Port
Azfargh

bladebarrier:

I´m totally aware that it isn´t a gaming machine. For that, I really liked the notebook Asus G74SX... great design shape, nice cooling system... an affordable powerhouse for gaming. But I´ll let this for one day, perhaps.

About the x220t:
Since the price drop, I´m having money enough to afford an modest 128GB SSD stock version not only for the battery and time saving, but the already very well known performance.

-the CAD topic
Not humongous projects, sometimes an entire building, usually, apartments and 2 floor stores. But, if for working with 3D and CAD requires more memory, I´m definitively getting it.

-gaming topic
Well... as a gamer pc gamer, there is no recent titles that I wanna to play (but SC2, Diablo3, Sonic Generations)... even being not demanding on system config, these are much more apreciated on a better quality or in epic battles. Just wanna ensure the need of the HD 3000, which uses the free RAM memory available to boost itself.

-screen control topic
Yeah... pretty neat to have such a lightweight-sexy-tough-blackmatte-tablet convertible-i7 powerhoused laptop. Not only the strategy games will get interesting, as well skeching and drawing (love that). Can´t wait to play my oldies using my finger. There is a way to configure a virtual pad at the screen?

thanks for your time
Token Ring
bladebarrier

"There is a way to configure a virtual pad at the screen?"

I'm guessing you mean for using emulators for things like NES, PSX, and such?

I'm not really sure, honestly. I use an inexpensive logitech gaming pad that I bought used off of Amazon for those kind of things. It's an F310 and cost less than $20. It's lightweight, inexpensive, requires no batteries, and has the same key mapping as an Xbox 360 controller (and most games see it as one, because you can switch it into "xbox" mode).

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing a lot of options for overlays like what you're talking about. My android phone has them built into the emulators, so it's probably pretty easy to program.

The touch screen is so much better in Windows 8 too. Granted, there the input still isn't better around the edges, but Windows 8 really makes the X220T fun. Everything can be approached by touch and pen, and it's done a million times better than in Windows 7. Since swapping over, I couldn't imagine ever wanting a non-convertible again. Lenovo quality keyboard for fast typing, with touch and pen for notes and quick navigation. I haven't come across anything that doesn't work, either (aside from a couple odd programs).
SCSI Port
Azfargh

bladebarrier:

So, would you recommend the Beta version of Win8? I´m afraid of not supporting my softwares... after all, my future x220t will be sharing personal and working computing stuff. Do you have any review at youtube of this win8 beta version?
sameerbhan
Topics: 2
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 10

As you need information regarding availability  and supported RAM for 3D modeling, CAD and games, please contact the lenovo pre-sales department and there the available representative will assist you .

Thanks & Regards,

Sameer

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!