Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
fungui

x220t Ssd or HD?

Well I am about to purchase an x220t, and have settled on the I5 version.  Right now I can get the outdoor disply with ssd option for the same price as the multitouch with hd option.  The outdoor does not come with the fingerprint reader, so I will be purchasing that and installing myself.  With that in mind the ssd option becomes $60-70 more.  I plan on replacing either hard drive in a year or so with an up to date ssd.  Do you think that the initial $60-70 is worth having the 128gb ssd?  I know it is not fast, but will there be a big enough difference between the two to make it worth it?  I have a desktop, so when it comes down to it either hard drive will be going in there for extra space whenever I upgrade to a new ssd.

I am leaning towards getting the outdoor option simply because I will be using the laptop in tablet mode specifically to write, and it gets a little annoying when the digitizer does not work exactly right and my hand hits stuff.  Can anyone testify to the display's credibility?  It isnt a deal breaker if it doesn't perform especially well outside, as I will never be requited to be outside.  Still it would be nice from time to time.

Thanks in advance

Punch Card
AQ_OC

Re: x220t Ssd or HD?

Not sure what your question is...but I think the ssd option is worth it in a laptop...they are more resistent to crashes due to movement, they are typically faster than mechanical drives, and they save on power and extend battery life.  I can't know how you value $70, so you have to decide for yourself.

The screen on mine is nice.  I don't ever plan to use it outside, so I don't have an outdoor display...but writing on it with the stylus is very nice.  It is a very responsive screen.

Please note that there apparently are some issues with the accuracy of the digitizer...there is an on-going thread here that you should read.  I got my x220t in mid December and mine seems to be fine....if it has the problems they are so slight as to not be an issue for me.

Best.

Punch Card
Wilddude

Hi,

My x220T Product id is 4294CTO. I recently got the OCZ Octane 512GB SSD and it's working great. I did not need to remove the SSD board from the case. It was a tight fit but I was able to shove it in there. I found that if I removed the keyboard I was able to guide the SSD in place.

Things to note:

1) I did a complete re-install of windows 7 on the new drive.

2) Your windows product key is under the battery

3) Make sure you turn off any secutriy settings you have on the HD (UEFI Settings)

4) You can install the ThinkVantage software direct from lenovo and it will update everything you need for stuff like rapid boot automatically. 

5) I found that Win 7 was able to detect the SSD and adjust it's setting like "no defrag" and TRIM support automatically. 

Bottom like the OCZ drive is working great for me. Better battery life and MUCH faster startup and speed. 

Guru
Audois

Here is an alternative to the SSD, the Solid State Hybrid Drive:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

Nearly as fast as a SSD, but much cheaper!

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
Punch Card
toocerebral

^Any idea where can it be purchased from?

Guru
Audois

Click the link "Where to buy".

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1