Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
atomicminded

Re: 90w adapter leads to unusable, jumpy touchpad

I agree, this is totally outrageous.  In fact I've discovered a new issue with the 90watt ultraslim, which I have posted a new thread on the NBR forums, and I'll post one here too.

I will gladly make a video for these guys later in the evening, when I get home.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@OtherSteve,

Good suggestion. Will let them know.

@atomicminded,

Appreciate it :smileyhappy:

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Serial Port
IBMweMissU

90w ultraslim adaptor & X220 = fail

It appears the 90w ultraslim adapter does not work with the X220 laptop.
It also appears this is a "known issue".

Just wondering if there will be a fix soon, or is my $150 + tips down the drain?
TP600E > T41 > X61 > X201T > X220 i7 IPS 8GB 160GB SSD
Paper Tape
tom_l

[ Edited ]

Hi JameZ

I'm very insterested in buying an X220, however after reading about a raft of possible issues, I've decided to delay my purchase. I've just registered to say thank you for doing what you can to get voices heard and try and get a response from engineering on these issues.

I have to say, however, that I'm disappointed by what I'm seeing from engineering. Quite often, it seems the onus is on the customer to not only identify, but also to analyze, document and even solution issues.

This slimline 90w adapter issue is a perfect case in point. Most customers do not have the facilities to fully define the conditions in which the problems arose (their mains supply voltage, for example), whereas engineering will have much better tools at their disposal.

What is required is for them to measure the current and voltage waveforms of the standard supply, the full size 90w supply and the slimline 90w supply. They need to do this in each scenario that the product is advertised for use in i.e. both weak and strong 110v and 240v supplies, with battery fully charged, part charged or empty. These current and voltage waveforms should then be posted, so that people can understand what they're dealing with.

This will tell us whether there are large switching transients leaving the power supply that are interfering with the capacitive touchpad sensor and potentially other delicate circuitry within the laptop (judging from another thread re. headphone socket, audio circuitry may be impacted).

It's useful for customers who turn to Lenovo because they have a tradition of making rugged and reliable machines to be armed with these facts. If it turned out for example that the slim 90w supply puts out dirty power full of switching transients, I for one would prefer to use the cleaner, larger supply, as I believe it will maximize the Mean Time Before Failure of the laptop in general, not just solve a touchpad issue.

This comment applies generally - it's good that I see people who post on here being asked to define the conditions in which the problem arose, yet when I see an engineering response saying simply "they were unable to create the fault", the obvious question is "what were the test conditions?".

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

For those who are having this issue on their 90w slim adapter appreciate if you can post the part if its not already listed.

So far reported AC adapter which are causing this issue are.

• 41R4493
  • 41R4538

If the ones which you are having problem too and not listed, please post here and I will update it.

Also for those who can provide a video for this, it would be great as well.

Also note that the BIOS for the X220 is already in 1.19 and touchbad drive is now version 15.3.8.0.

Please ensure all drivers and windows drivers are updated.

Thanks

James

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

What's DOS?
knife

I have the problem with a 41R4510. Thanks.
Fanfold Paper
stevelyh

I had the same problem. A quick call to Support and they fixed it for me.

Download and install the latest UltraNav driver.

Here's the link I was given:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS019164

Punch Card
Bibbleq

[ Edited ]

@Jamez

Hi,
I've found this thread this morning after having the issue on my X220t (tablet). I've got an ultraslim 41R4538 & am running hte latest BIOS and mouse drivers.

I made a quick video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEiDilk0yGY of my problem. Hope it helps and you can figure out a fix soon!

Incedently I also get the horrible sqeaky / bubbling noise out of the ultraslim adaptor but I understand thats normal? It only does it when charging the last 20% of the battery...

Punch Card
atomicminded

[ Edited ]

That new ultranav driver has a bug in it.  I posted a new thread in this forum about it.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/x220-bug-in-the-new-ultranav-drivers-15-3-16-1...

What's DOS?
shkim1029

it still have same problem.. it jump when I use two finger scroll with lastest 15.3.16.1 ultranav driver.