Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
mqueitzs

Re: 90w adapter leads to unusable, jumpy touchpad NOT RESOLVED!

Reporting back from my previous post: the BIOS update to v1.21 and ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device driver updated to v15.3.8.0 does not resolve the erratic touchpad behaviour. I ran my battery down to 10%, then plugged-in the Ultraslim AC Adaptor P/N 41R4538 (2011.32), and recorded the following behaviour over the recharge cycle (I stopped at 75% charge, as I figure I'd proven the point by then):

10% - 30%: erratic trackpad
40%: occasionaly erratic trackpad
50%: erratic trackpad
60%: trackpad ok for a couple of minutes, then erratic

70%: trackpad ok for a couple of minutes, then erratic for a minute or so, then was ok for a couple of minutes, then erratic for a couple of minutes, repeating this good-bad behaviour up to 75% when I stopped testing.

I will be lodging a warranty/money-back request tonight.

Paper Tape
dmkara

Same problem with the Ultraslim AC Adaptor P/N 41R4538 (2011.23), BIOS v1.21 and ThinkPad UltraNav Pointing Device driver v15.3.8.0. Thinkpad x220 4286-CTO with i7.

What I noticed is that if I disconnect the cable splitter and connect the power tip directly to the power cord the problem become sporadical rather than constant. Still makes the adapter unsable.

What's DOS?
itguy78

Ok, I'm joining the talk because I am having this annoying issue with my new lenovo x220 (4286CTO) with core i7. After reading this thread, I have to add that my issue is happening with BOTH 65W and 90W adapters both purchased with the laptop from lenovo (FRU P/N: 42T5282 and 42T4431 respectively). To be fair it seems that it only happens with the 65W adapter if I was using the 90W right before I plug the 65W in (unsure for how long). I'd say (in my case) that most of the time the touchpad is usable, but it is very annoying to hold your finger on a fixed spot and see it jump side to side at least 20 pixels -- worse it even clicks (single taps) the mouse sometimes! I remember that when I first got the laptop it was way worse (uncontrollable) but most of that went away after doing all the driver updates (I'm now all up to date as of today). I hope this can be fixed somehow otherwise I have one useless A/C adapter.
Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Issue has been replicated by engineering. They are looking into this issue.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
nicbex

And the engineers are aware that it happens on 65W adapters aswell, not only the 90W-ones? Cause I have the same annoying problem and I have the 65W-version.

Punch Card
jeff3yan

Re: 90w adapter leads to unusable, jumpy touchpad

I just recently got my 90W Ultraslim adapter replaced with a standard 65W adapter since I had this issue.

What I'm wondering is, in the time that I was using the 90W adapter, was my X220 damaged in any way? (Battery etc.)

Retired Employee
JameZ

@jeff3yan,

No worries its fine. Apparently the 90w slim releases a signal which is received by the touchpad thus causing it to "jump" or "move" by itself. We're still pending the team to release a firmware to prevent this.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
nicbex

It happens on the 65W adapter as well! I'm so god **bleep** angry on this problem right now. How could it be that NO ONE noticed that the track pad becomes totally useless just by connecting the power cable?! What definitely reproduces this problem for me is when connecting both to the 65W-adapter and having an ethernet cable connected. The mouse pointer becomes totally insane, immediatly when the ethernet cable is plugged in.

Fix this, NOW.

Paper Tape
virtualuser

I am in shock with the amount of notes posted on the problem with this slim power supply and the x220.  I just got an x220 a the beginning of September and got the slim power supply for travel.  For two weeks I tried tweaking everything and running every diagnostic.  Eventually I found a blog where someone posted the slim power supply and touchpad issue.  What shocks me is that Lenovo is still shipping the slim power supply with the x220 KNOWING there is a real problem.  And going through this blog it's clear that everyone is just getting the run around and no solution.

And customer service is a joke!  somebody who just replies from a script.

Punch Card
nicbex

Actually, now I've noted that the same problem happens when you just plug in the ethernet cable (running on battery). This is a joke, and no updates from Lenovo whatsoever. I'm not terribly satisfied with Lenovo right now.