Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Token Ring
jyeah
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎12-06-2010
Location: United States
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

Just to confirm, I tested the USNA-95 without the battery and there's no throttling.

 

I have the latest 1.19 BIOS with Core i7-2620M, 8GB RAM DDR3-1866MHZ RAM, Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB.

 

How are you testing it? I run Windows Experience Index and I get 7.1 7.9 6.3 6.3 7.9 with my setup. I was monitoring the speed and it was exactly the same as when I have the battery plugged in.

 

Serial Port
bender957
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎07-21-2011
Location: Russia
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

 

for throtling test better to run any game or if you don't have any then run lenovo's stress test

 

its installed with standart software package from lenovo

 

and monitor CPU clock rates while testing.

 

if there is no throtling it shouldn't never drop down to 800MGz when test is running

 

 

Punch Card
profepaco
Posts: 27
Registered: ‎07-05-2011
Location: spain
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

 

More news:

 

Definitly, the NGS 110W adaptaer is a crap, no way to obtain full performance.

 

I received today Be quiet! 90w adapter and now i can obtain full speed without battery, and trackpad works well.

Serial Port
bender957
Posts: 47
Registered: ‎07-21-2011
Location: Russia
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

 

some news

 

new slim adapter from FSP released FSP NB Q 90

 

it have adjustable volatge - 16,18,19,20,21,24V and small LCD screen to indicate current voltage

Fanfold Paper
thinkpadding
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎04-07-2011
Location: Canada
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

A quick question... I have a couple of 90W/20V Lenovo OEM power supplies for a T61 and T500. The p/n's are 92P1105 and 92P1109. Can these be used with the X220 without causing damage? Thanks! (I received my x220 a couple of days ago and have not experienced a significant problem, though the touchpad needs some refining. That's a different thread though...)
802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 575
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220


thinkpadding wrote:
A quick question... I have a couple of 90W/20V Lenovo OEM power supplies for a T61 and T500. The p/n's are 92P1105 and 92P1109. Can these be used with the X220 without causing damage? Thanks! (I received my x220 a couple of days ago and have not experienced a significant problem, though the touchpad needs some refining. That's a different thread though...)

They will be fine with the X220.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
r00bin
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎10-19-2011
Location: Minnesota
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

 

I just recieved an Anker 90W power supply http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-ThinkPad-92P1108-40Y7659/dp/B0042ACZRK/ref=pd_sim_e_1

 

It terms of performance, I haven't noticed a difference from the lenovo 65w. When charging, it does get hot and make a buzzing noise. The lenovo 65w got hot but never made a buzzing noise. Is this correct? What's a sure fire way to test for throttling?

 

EDIT: Gonna run Orthos and see what happens.

 

Thanks

802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 575
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

[ Edited ]

r00bin wrote:

I just recieved an Anker 90W power supply http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-ThinkPad-92P1108-40Y7659/dp/B0042ACZRK/ref=pd_sim_e_1

It terms of performance, I haven't noticed a difference from the lenovo 65w. When charging, it does get hot and make a buzzing noise. The lenovo 65w got hot but never made a buzzing noise. Is this correct? What's a sure fire way to test for throttling?


You'll only notice a performance difference if you're maxing out the machine on all threads on all cores. What I use for that is high-end video rendering software. You can see your performance with Lenovo Power Manager in Basic view. (Move the performance slider all the way to the left when testing.) The performance difference is small if you're running the latest BIOS and version of Power Manager.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
franckbender
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-16-2011
Location: Montreal, PQ
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220

I'm considering the Cooler Master USNA 95 for my X220 Tablet. Isn't risky though, to use a 95w adapter instead of a 90w in the long term? Will it end up affecting battery life? I've googled it but I haven't found anything about a 5w discrepancy.

802.11n
JNavas
Posts: 575
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
0

Re: Alternative power adapters for the X220


franckbender wrote:

I'm considering the Cooler Master USNA 95 for my X220 Tablet. Isn't risky though, to use a 95w adapter instead of a 90w in the long term? Will it end up affecting battery life? I've googled it but I haven't found anything about a 5w discrepancy.


5W difference is not an issue -- the X220 adapts to what the supply is able to deliver.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]