Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbmoorehead

Any USB Device Installs Cannot Find Drivers - x40 SP3

I am running Windows XP SP3 on an X40 2371-HU3. I am unable to install new USB devices such as an RF mouse + keyboard and a multifunction printer. Importantly, I *am* able to connect new removable storage devices with no trouble.

The error occurs when I reach the stage of the install process where Windows prompts me to direct it to the driver. I manually direct the driver installation wizard to whatever location the driver files are located in... the wizard looks in the location, and promptly reports that there is no appropriate driver to be found.

This happens with the following USB devices:
Brother MFC-8660DN
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 110
Belkin portable USB hub
HP OfficeJet 4255

This problem has been going on for months without me fully realizing it, so I cannot point at the installation or uninstallation of any particular piece of hardware of software that created this problem.

This one has me stumped, folks. Thanks in advance for your help.
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Any USB Device Installs Cannot Find Drivers - x40 SP3

OK I have an idea what might be going on here. Let's try this:

1. Unplug the Brother MFC-8660DN USB cable.

2. Download and install the Windows XP driver package for the MFC-8660DN from the Brother web site.

3. Plug the USB cable back in.

Windows XP includes drivers for nearly all USB storage devices, so they usually work without any additional drivers.

Windows XP cannot find drivers for the printers you list because it has none. Before plugging into USB, you have to install them from the manufacturer's web site downloads or from the CDs which came with them.

I confess I am a bit puzzled as to why XP doesn't find drivers for the USB hub - is it a fancy model? I would also have expected Windows XP to have some basic drivers for the mouse and keyboard, but usually there are manufacturer drivers which give access to more advanced features.

Hope this helps get you a step in the right direction!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbmoorehead

I should have been more clear: I have in all cases downloaded the appropriate drivers for the hardware. When I said in my previous post that I indicate to the installation wizard the folder with the drivers, this is what I was referring to.

I too am particularly confounded by the USB hub issue, when this error appeared I realized that there is a deeper problem in my USB configuration.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

OK well now we're reaching... this seems to be a more fundamental problem with your OS installation and USB. Anyone with any more ideas please chime in.

Googling around I find two suggestions to try: Re-install the chipset drivers, and/or run an OS repair from an XP install disk.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbmoorehead

Googling around myself, I find the same suggestion to reinstall the chipset drivers. Going to the Intel website, I can locate this:

"The INF files inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality, such as AGP, USB, Core PCI, and ISAPNP services."

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=816&DwnldID=8178&strOSs=44&OSFullNa...*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

Seem promising. I download and install, no with no results. My search continues...

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rbmoorehead

Continuing to sift through postings online, I find this recommendation to uninstall and reinstall the USB controllers:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/449735-usb-problem.html#post3435808

The result is the same, with the happy exception that now when I reboot my computer the USB hub in my IBM docking station (Ultrabase?) needs to be reinstalled. Normally this would happen immediately and automatically, but now the hardware installation wizard reports that it cannot find a driver for "USB Device." This makes me happy.

Anyone more observations or ideas out there?

What's DOS?
wintersedge3

I have the exact same problem to the letter to the very last exact detail. Did anyone ever fined a way to fix this issue. I been googleing as well as trying a number of different things including what he already tried (the guy who had this issue). If anyone knows how to deal with this please let me know. I much rather do this myself then take my pc to bestbuy and get ripped off as they create some extra issues to correct. Thanks Mike