Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
JNavas
Accepted Solution

Application Auto Launch not working in Intel Connection Settings

Application Auto Launch in Intel Connection Settings (which I use to launch a browser window for Wi-Fi authentication) used to work on my X220, but has stopped working (not sure how long ago) -- nothing seems to happen when a make a Wi-Fi connection with this setting with no error message or log.

I've tried uninstalling the Sep 2011 software and installing the Apr 2011 software, but that didn't solve the problem.

I'm not using Access Connections because (a) I prefer to have a minimum of software installed on my system and (b) the Intel software gives me everything I need (or at least it used to).

Anyone have a clue on this issue? Lenovo?

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

Re: Application Auto Launch not working in Intel Connection Settings

[ Edited ]

Gave up waiting. Solved the problem by:
 1. Downloading the latest PROSet/Wireless Software and drivers directly from Intel (link).
 2. Uninstalling the Lenovo-provided Intel Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) software.
 3. Installing the downloaded Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and drivers
Thank to Intel for making it possible for me to solve the problem apparently created by Lenovo.

JNavas wrote:

Application Auto Launch in Intel Connection Settings (which I use to launch a browser window for Wi-Fi authentication) used to work on my X220, but has stopped working (not sure how long ago) -- nothing seems to happen when a make a Wi-Fi connection with this setting with no error message or log.

I've tried uninstalling the Sep 2011 software and installing the Apr 2011 software, but that didn't solve the problem.

I'm not using Access Connections because (a) I prefer to have a minimum of software installed on my system and (b) the Intel software gives me everything I need (or at least it used to).

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

Gave up waiting. Solved the problem by:
 1. Downloading the latest PROSet/Wireless Software and drivers directly from Intel (link).
 2. Uninstalling the Lenovo-provided Intel Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) software.
 3. Installing the downloaded Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and drivers
Thank to Intel for making it possible for me to solve the problem apparently created by Lenovo.

JNavas wrote:

Think I've now completely figured out this issue, which I saw again when setting up a new T420s. The problem is that the Lenovo preload of Intel Wireless software installs the Intel WiFi Connection Utility, but Lenovo updates to Intel wireless software do not install it, thereby removing it from the computer, losing the functionality.

To restore the Intel WiFi Connection Utility, open Control Panel, select Uninstall a program, right-click on Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software and select Change. When the Wizard has launched, click Next, select Modify and click Next again, and on the Custom Setup screen, click on the icon to the left of Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility, and select This feature will be installed on local hard drive, then click Next to install it. Application Auto Launch should now be enabled.

Intel WiFi Connection Utility 

Hope that helps,
John
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

I'm not a PROSet expert, but I believe the Lenovo distribution of Intel PROSet disables that feature, because it conflicts with Access Connections.  If you prefer to use the PROSet feature instead of Access Connections, then you can get the PROSet software directly from Intel or else modify the installation just like you did.

If there was some preloaded version of PROSet that did not disable that feature, then I think that was a mistake in the preload.

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

someotherguy wrote:

I'm not a PROSet expert, but I believe the Lenovo distribution of Intel PROSet disables that feature, because it conflicts with Access Connections.  If you prefer to use the PROSet feature instead of Access Connections, then you can get the PROSet software directly from Intel or else modify the installation just like you did.

If there was some preloaded version of PROSet that did not disable that feature, then I think that was a mistake in the preload.

Thanks for the fast response.

If it is a mistake in the preload, then the mistake is common to both the X220 and the T420s, which suggests it could be a widespread mistake, one that you might want to report to the preload team.

I understand the potential issue with Access Connections, but think a better way to handle it would be for Access Connections to disable Intel WiFi Connection Manager during installation, and enable it during uninstallation, so it would be enabled if Access Connections is not installed.

While Access Connections can be useful in some environments, particularly with Windows XP, I find it unnecessary bloat with Windows 7, and prefer the Intel WiFi Connection Manager. It was quite frustrating to find the Intel Application Auto Launch feature disabled with no clue anywhere as to why or how. I think this should be documented in some official way to help save other customers the same frustration.

Last but not least, I would hope the install for any future Lenovo updates to Intel WiFi software will respect and preserve the install settings I've configured, so the Intel WiFi Connection Manager won't suddenly and inexplicably disappear, which would be needlessly frustrating and annoying.

Hope that helps,
John