Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
zoowalk0815

Battery: sudden drop from approx. 2,5 hrs to zero.

Dear all,

The battery of my x61 (less than a year old) gives me a working time of approx. 6 - 7 hours.

However, since recently - at the same time my palm rest started to get uncomfortably warm :smileysad:- the battery drops when reaching approx. 2,5 hrs remaining working time suddendly to zero and I have to plug the computer on. Basically I can't rely anymore on the time stated by the energy manager. The battery is still in a "good" shape. Could that be related to the heat issue? Has anybody experienced something similar?

See also my entry at http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X61-second-fan-working-properly-How-to-check/t...

Many thanks for all your inputs!

Best.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Battery: sudden drop from approx. 2,5 hrs to zero.

Hi zoowalk0815!

First check this post to see if your battery is affected.

Second your battery is still under warranty (one year) - call it in and get it replaced.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
zoowalk0815

Re: Battery: sudden drop from approx. 2,5 hrs to zero.

many thanks - i'll do so!

Serial Port
zoowalk0815

Sudden drop of battery

Dear all - apologies if this was already somewhere posted. My battery (about 1,5 year old) drops from approx. 50 % to zero.What is very annoying since I can't rely anymore on the the information provided by the battery display.

I checked the battery diagnosis tool - but it's not listed for replacement. Where can I find the FRU of my battery (sorry, that must be a beginner's questions)?  Any help?

Any feedback would very much appreciated.

Best

Serial Port
zoowalk0815

drop of battery - "right" FRU, lenovo program says not replacement eligible

Hi - 

I have a FRU 42T4568 battery, my battery drops suddenly from approx. 50  % to zero, but still the battery testing programme of lenovo says that I am not eligible for a replacement. Is there something wrong with this programme. How can that be? Did anybody experience something similar? Many thanks.

Blue Screen Again
gosen211

Re: drop of battery - "right" FRU, lenovo program says not replacement eligible

zoowalk0815 wrote:

Hi - 

I have a FRU 42T4568 battery, my battery drops suddenly from approx. 50  % to zero, but still the battery testing programme of lenovo says that I am not eligible for a replacement. Is there something wrong with this programme. How can that be? Did anybody experience something similar? Many thanks.

do u have the symptoms as stated in the the notice by Mark, such as 'poor battery', or the error messgae pop up?

A tip for u to try out. Browse to Power Manager > Battery > Battery Maintenance > Battery Gauge Reset > Perform Reset.

later, try to run the diagnosis tool again and see what it says.

-->T60 XP SP3, 1.5GB RAM
Serial Port
zoowalk0815

Thx - I did the recalibration (reset gauge) function. then a little bubble appeared saying my battery is in poor condition.

However, the battery symbol in the engergy manager is still green and says it's in good condition. very confusing.

Blue Screen Again
gosen211

[ Edited ]

try restart the system and see if the power manage will show ur battery is in poor condition. Run the diagnosis tool and see whether eligible or not.

do u stil remember the battery capacity(in Wh) before and after the gauge reset?

-->T60 XP SP3, 1.5GB RAM
Serial Port
zoowalk0815

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply. I ran the battery testing tool again after the battery gauge reset
- still it says the battery is not eligible for replacement.

The gauge reset resulted in a decrease of the batteries capacity from 74 to 52 Wh.

Power management says the battery is in a good condition.

But even now, the battery suddenly falls from approx. 50 % to 0 % within seconds.

This is not what i understand under  "good" condition.

Honestly, I really wonder why I should pay a considerable higher price for a lenovo

laptop if I've to bother with things like this.

The hotline told me the battery can't be replaced. Not happy at all.

802.11n
AGoodSolution

The PCDoctor Diag CD has a Battery Rundown utility to correct the sudden battery drop issue and it was fairly well documented at thinkwiki.org:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Maintenance

They link to Lenovo's bootable CD version of the ut and it should fir your X.

Download the Lenovo ISO here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-56222

We had a dead X41t large cap battery which failed to charge past 52% and would die if taken off AC and solved it using the run down utility instead of chucking a $150 batt.

------------------
Don't just sit there, take a second and use the Kudo's button to compliment the people who help you.
------------------