Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
srazzaque

Blank screen when using VGA out on Ultrabase 3

Hi all,

Recent x220 owner here - in fact it just got in yesterday :-)

I was eager to test it out thoroughly to see if everything was working without any defects. The one thing I couldn't seem to get working was this: when I have a monitor (Lenovo 22") plugged into the VGA out of the ultrabase, under no circumstances will there be any video out.

In Windows 7, I try hitting Windows+P and then selecting 'extend'. The monitor 'wakes up' from sleep, however the display remains blank. The mouse also acts as though it can 'move' into the other monitor space without any issues - so clearly the OS 'thinks' the monitor is active. I just can't see anything on it.

Strange thing is, when I plug the monitor directly into the VGA port to the left of the thinkpad, everything works as expected!

And I know this isn't an OS-specific thing, this same issue was exhibited on:

- Stock Windows included shipped with the laptop (Home Premium)

- Ubuntu live CD (11.10)

- Windows 7 Ultimate which I installed as my primary

Is this normal behaviour?

Cheers,

SR

Paper Tape
srazzaque

Re: Blank screen when using VGA out on Ultrabase 3

Got the laptop back last week from repairs in Lenovo Australia. Not too happy - motherboard got replaced, but the issue is still present and I get no VGA output when the machine is docked. I have tried on 3 different docks now.

I'd have thought that Lenovo's technicians would see if the issue was still reproducecable after making the repairs.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,202
Solutions: 1,277

so the vga port on the laptop itself when docked is still active now?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
srazzaque

lead_org - thanks for the response, turns out it was indeed a hardware issue, the VGA port on the laptop itself did work whilst it was docked, but that sort-of defeated the purpose of the dock!

After two support calls and two return-to-base's (issue was still present after receiving it the first time), they fixed the issue. All is well now :-)