Support in other languages: 
802.11n
JNavas
Accepted Solution

Bluetooth mouse stops working from time to time (X220)

From time to time my Bluetooth mouse (Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000) stops working.

I have to either move the mouse around a lot or power cycle it to get it working again.

The problem is not in the mouse, which works fine with other computers.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

Re: Bluetooth mouse stops working from time to time (X220)

JNavas wrote:

From time to time my Bluetooth mouse (Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000) stops working.

I have to either move the mouse around a lot or power cycle it to get it working again.

Problem solved by unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager > Bluetooth Radios > ThinkPad Bluetooth 3.0 > Properties > Power Management.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i5-2540M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

JNavas wrote:

Problem solved by unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager > Bluetooth Radios > ThinkPad Bluetooth 3.0 > Properties > Power Management.

I partially take that back -- while the problem seems to be reduced by turning off Bluetooth power management,

it still occurs from time to time. Lenovo?

Hope that helps,
John
Guru
ColonelONeill

I have the same mouse. It goes into power saving after a while of idle, and you have to jiggle it for a second for it to come back.

It also drops from my computer once in a blue moon. Toggling the radios gets it to work for me as well.

It happened on my T400 and also on my W520. Maybe it's the mouse? Or Windows?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/700/1400, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

ColonelONeill wrote:
I have the same mouse. It goes into power saving after a while of idle, and you have to jiggle it for a second for it to come back.
It also drops from my computer once in a blue moon. Toggling the radios gets it to work for me as well.
It happened on my T400 and also on my W520. Maybe it's the mouse? Or Windows?

I don't think it's the mouse -- I'm familiar with power saving in this mouse, and this is happening while I'm using the mouse, which just suddenly stops tracking. I likewise don't think it's Windows -- I did not see this problem with the same mouse on my T61p running the same version of Windows.

I think it's most likely something in the Bluetooth stack of the X220, disconnecting from the mouse, which then has to reconnect, an amount of time that's consistent with what I'm seeing. But I have no way of telling for sure without elaborate Bluetooth troubleshooting, something I'm not eager to take on. :smileywink:

Besides, one of the reasons I pay more for a ThinkPad is to get "legendary Lenovo quality and engineering" so I don't have to troubleshoot and fix things myself. :smileywink:

Hope that helps,
John
802.11n
JNavas

Re: Bluetooth mouse stops working from time to time (X220) - HOW I FINALLY FIXED THE PROBLEM

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

Although I seemed to have reduced the frequency, I was never able to completely solve the problem of my Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 suddenly stop working properly for 10 seconds of so from time to time, so I decided to try a different mouse. I've long had my eye on the ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mous (P/N 41U5008), which is not only more capable (tilt wheel), but also matches ThinkPad computers. The obstacle was the relatively high cost ($50 plus tax and shipping), but I finally found one for under $30, and jumped on it. In the several weeks I've been using it, I've not experienced a single case of it suddenly stop working (other than going to sleep if not moved for an extended period of time). So my real solution to this problem is the ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse. Highly recommended! (Best deal I know of currently is $33 reburbished on eBay.)

Hope that helps,
John
What's DOS?
ah98836

Re: Bluetooth mouse stops working from time to time (X220) - HOW I FINALLY FIXED THE PROBLEM

Hi,

I am having the same problem with a Thinkpad Bluetooth Laser Mouse so its not that your Microsoft mouse was the issue.

I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1 , Lenovo thinkpad T430 and when using the mouse it suddenly just stops working, reboot brings it back online or using the utility to pair again as well.

802.11n
JNavas

ah98836 wrote:

I am having the same problem with a Thinkpad Bluetooth Laser Mouse so its not that your Microsoft mouse was the issue.

I am using Windows 7 Professional SP1 , Lenovo thinkpad T430 and when using the mouse it suddenly just stops working, reboot brings it back online or using the utility to pair again as well.

Your problem might one of these issues (links to solutions):

1. ThinkPad Bluetooth 6.5.1.2700 apparently causes mouse to stop working
  2. Bluetooth mouse stops working from time to time (X220)
  3. ThinkPad Bluetooth Laser Mouse buttons stop working
Hope that helps,
John
Paper Tape
ziath

Hello,

I had this problem in my X1 carbon. After a long trial & error trouble shooting I managed to fix it.

It is the power management that stops the blue tooth connection by trying to save power. !!.

If you are using Win 7 goto control panel and search 'power options'. then on search results click on 'Power Options'.

Then on left you will have a menu, click  "Change when the computer sleeps".

On subsequent window, below click "Change advanced power settings".

On the next menu click "Wireless Adapter Settings" -> Power Saving Mode -> Plugged in : Maximum Performance. (default is "Maximum power saving".)

Once I set the maximimu performance for Plugged in the bluetooth mouse started working without interruptions.

Hope this helps.

802.11n
JNavas

ziath wrote:

I had this problem in my X1 carbon. After a long trial & error trouble shooting I managed to fix it.

It is the power management that stops the blue tooth connection by trying to save power. !!.

If you are using Win 7 goto control panel and search 'power options'. then on search results click on 'Power Options'.

Then on left you will have a menu, click  "Change when the computer sleeps".

On subsequent window, below click "Change advanced power settings".

On the next menu click "Wireless Adapter Settings" -> Power Saving Mode -> Plugged in : Maximum Performance. (default is "Maximum power saving".)

Once I set the maximimu performance for Plugged in the bluetooth mouse started working without interruptions.

Hope this helps.

While that may seem to have helped, it shouldn't have any real effect on this particular issue.

Instead open Device Manager, expand Bluetooth Radios, and double-click on "ThinkPad Bluetooth..."

Click Power Managment, UNcheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device...", and then click OK.

Also be sure to update to the latest ThinkPad Bluetooth drivers,

and use the latest Thinkvantage Power Manager instead of Windows to manage power.

Capturebt.PNG

Hope that helps,
John