Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
iestynallcard

Broken Screen X121e (E350)

I bought this computer 2 months ago and was satisfied with my purchase. About a week ago the screen failed, so had to send it for repairs (Colchester, UK) to an associate company of Lenovo. The Computer was returned today and with some shock and horror, the screen has been replaced with a defective screen, which appear to have a dead pixel on the screen (red). ON such a small screen (11 inches) this is most irritating, so I called up the repair number and gave my repair reference number. 

I told the operator of my predicement and asked for either a full refund (after allowing Lenovo to make right repair of faulty product) or a replacement new product. I was told by the representative at Lenovo UK that I was not entitled to either a refund or a replacement product and that I could send it for repair again.  The screen bezel has been damaged, where obviously with a repair the screen has to be prised off using tools after the initial manufacture. I do not find this acceptable but I was willing to live with this. A second repair will damage the product further and astethically mispleasing.

I do not find this acceptable. I asked the operator to pass me on to the complaints department, or the customer liason team and I was told that it is outside of procedures and I would have to log a complaint first. 

I purchased this product in good faith that Lenovo were of the same quality as IBM. I am sadly mistaken.

Whom so ever reads this at Lenovo, could you please contact me so that this can be rectified. After this experience I expect a full refund and return of goods, as written in UK consumer law, which must be abided.

Also, how on earth am I expected to return the product, when the original packaging was scrapped by the repair centre, and replaced with non-reuseable packaging.

I am not a happy customer.

I expect so much better than this.

Blue Screen Again
iestynallcard

Re: Broken Screen X121e (E350)

Here is a quick link just to make sure that there has been no confusion.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Yourconsumerrightswhenbuyingg...

andyP
Topics: 164
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 632

iestynallcard, welcome to the forum,

sorry to hear about your experiences, I can imagine that your not feeling exactly thrilled. 

What the operator told you about filing a complaint was correct and is the road to reaching a satisfactory resolution. The Lenovo employees here will be able to help you by filing a complaint on your behalf and getting the wheels rolling, registering a complaint yourself would be quicker and you can be 100% sure that your case is presented exactly how you would like it to be presented.

In order to register a complaint all you need to do is call the number you've already called and when connected to a CSR, (Customer Service Representative), quote your original Call Nr. regarding the repair and state that you wish to register a complaint.  The CSR will do this for you and inform you of the next steps.

Please enure you make a record of who you spoke to and if possible have a couple of photos at the ready illustrating the problem which you can send per email if required.

Almost forgot, the original packaging shouldn't be an issue

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
iestynallcard

I did fill in a complaint form (well complaint was passed on to the complaints team). I am still waiting for a response back from the complaints department. Doesn't fill me with hope that the different departments are split right across Europe where Complaints are handled in one country but repairs are handled in another.

Does it really matter of whom I spoke too, as your call systems record all details of a fault call. I did get the last person to send me an email to acknowledge response but its all a bit too much blame culture for my liking. Just admit that the product is at fault and deal with customer retention. A happy customer will buy many more products from you than an unhappy one, just take a look at the case of Apple.

What you call a complaint is not a complaint at all but law. I have played the game and honestly hoped for a better outcome than came back to me. Cosmetic damage as I explained to your operators is one thing, but a hardware replacement that is faulty is another (screen with dead pixels in this day and age, with mass manufacture, come on!). How on earth did it get through quality control. I also read with disguist at the prospect of shoddy workmanship getting through on a "how many pixels are faulty" clause. As I explained above, on a larger screen, maybe, but when your dealing with a screen measuring just 11 inches it is intollerabe.

I still have faith in this matter being resolved and I was very excited by the initial product with the cool AMD chip and the small form factor. That was until the screen decided to only show half what it should. The build quality seemed solid as ever, just a shame that the electronics inside didn't measure up.

I do hope that Lenovo won't let me down as I really want to believe in them as a proper alternative to Dell or HP as a sourcing company. 

Please take these writtings without predjudice and lets get this matter resolved either with a replacement like for like product of a refund. I don't think at this stage any more repairs are going to leave me a happy.

andyP
Topics: 164
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 632

Having read your reply I would like to make the following clear to avoid possible misunderstandings. I previously wrote; "..The Lenovo employees here....", in your reply I gained the impression that you maybe believe that I am employed by Lenovo. None of the super moderators, moderators or gurus are Lenovo employees, all are volunteers from different walks of life doing their best to keep this a happy helpful place.

Did the CSR register a complaint on your behalf? If they did it can take about three days before you are contacted, most often it's quicker and please be sure to check your email spam folder; I once had a complaint running on behalf of one of my  customers and duly complained about having not been contacted. The email had somehow landed in my spam folder :smileysurprised:

Having a name of who you spoke to, and a note of the call time, adds credibility. It's advice I offered in "good will", but will not be a process killer if you don't have the information, just good practice.

Lenovo is a large organisation, as is IBM who previously "ran the show", they separate departments and each department is responsible for that what they do. They have systems in place which work, maybe not as quickly as we would all like, but it does work very well with the exceptional glitch when human error, (read mistake / failure / or whatever you like), causes the experience for the customer to become an absolute nightmare. That said, this is nothing different to what you would experience dealing with any other globally active company.

I disagree totally with your comment; "What you call a complaint is not a complaint at all but law" - a complaint is placed by a consumer against a vendor informing them of dissatisfaction with a product or services, the law is a written and solid declaration of the rights of both parties should they not be able to reconcile the complaint amicably.

A fair and correct resolution for both parties is of benefit and favorable to both, the resolution is always in reach - only as long as both want to reach for it.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Blue Screen Again
iestynallcard

Yes a solution should be reached. But if you study economics and know about pareto efficiency, I doubt very much that I will come out with the better result from this. After all, the exchange took place, I got a product , it failed, Lenovo got my cash. Once parted, its very hard to get back :smileyhappy:

I just hope that Lenovo want my custom for the long term and not just the quick buck.

As you know its about creating customer loyalty, errors do occur and faults are always not too far away with IT products, as a programmer I sympathize. It is how we all deal with these issues that will make or break a brand. Especially on a world scale. I loved IBM. I hope that I will also love Lenovo.

My last laptop was a Dell, I threw a lot at it, and it took it. I even took out the 4 year home repair service contract. It was never used and me and the laptop came to a parting after the battery life was getting useless.

My laptop before that was an IBM. It lasted 2 years. It was built like a brick and was a great machine. for £800 for what at the time was cheap and it did what was expected.

Being a big brand should create better opportunities, and small amounts of money like £360 (my x121e) should not be questioned, just give me a replacement/refund and be done with it. As a customer I don't care how many departments, or how big you are. I just want good customer service, and top notch build quality on my purchased products.

I did get a complaint number, in an email earlier today. I have no idea what I am suppose to do with it. The CSR (Roxanne) said that it has been passed on to the department and would be dealt accordingly by them. **bleep**. Just send me a new laptop, I will send back the crappy repair job and just get on with life.

As said, my expectations on this are high and anything less than 100% satisfaction will sully Lenovos name as far as I am concerned.

I still remain hopeful, even though the pareto economics are against me.

Paper Tape
cqthien

Don't know if screens for reparation are all of second grade. My 3 months X121e had been broken too (was flickering first an developed into dark quickly) and the replacement screen also has a red dead pixel.

The dot is near to the border so I put up with it. 

What worries me more is the new screen may just be broken again after the warranty period. I believe the flickering problem that many X120 people have is really hardware ,not driver related.

Blue Screen Again
iestynallcard

X121e AMD E350.....shocking....just shocking.

Don't buy one of these. They are not IBM Thinkpads. They are awful awful things.

I have been a computer programmer for over 15 years and I can honestly say that this is the worse computer I have ever bought.

First problem, the screen broke. Sent it off for repair, it came back with a new screen that was faulty. After several weeks of complaining, Lenovo sent a guy out to fix it. Screen fixed. Thought that this would be the end.

No....no I was sadly wrong.

I was looking at the computer today, and notice that a big nasty crack has appeared in the casing where the SD card goes in. I have never used the darn socket, and the computer resides on my lap in the front room for most of the time, and not being carted around by one of those stupid guys in a suit going to flash meetings, or some rampaging kids smacking the thing with a hammer.

I covert my computers, and treat them with way too much respect. So imagine my horror when I came across this.

The guy who fixed my computer warned me that Lenovo do not cover for case damage, or malfunctioning keyboards. So I thought I would repair it as I am very technical. Thinkpads of old, you could take them apart with a screw driver, right down to the wire, without any trouble or fuss. This one however, is not the case (pun intended). The motherboard is stuck to the casing, and therefore there is no way you can replace the case. 

I have had the computer for less then 3 months. It cost £360 and is now stuck together with sticky back plastic and super glue.

What an awful experience....I wish Lenovo goodbye and take them without leave as this has been an  experience I would rather forget.

Blue Screen Again
iestynallcard

I got the red dot fixed in the end........now I have acquired a nasty crack on the right hand side port.....I can't believe it.....worse machine I have ever purchased.....

What's DOS?
tfosseli

In case someone else has a creaked screen and your warranty has run out. The Lenovo screens on the x120e series aren't that hard to replace yourself, and costs about 70 euro. To get support to fix it for you will cost you around 400 euro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ik1qQeeJls