Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
ludu35
Accepted Solution

Can X200 handle 8GB memory?

Hello

Got a chance to get 2 x 4GB at good price. Can someone please tell me if X200 can handle 8GB memory?

My x200 has Vista 64-bit installed.

Please advise, thanks

LD

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: Can X200 handle 8GB memory?

Yes it can. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
ludu35

I am going to test them out in 10 minutes ... Those modules are DDR3 and originally for Macbook Pro. Spec is the same for PC, so hope it work out fine, will update as soon as I done with it.

Thanks

LD

Punch Card
ludu35

Thanks ...

Yes, it worked perfectly fine with x200. I installed them in and run smoothy under Vista Ultimate 32bit w/SP1. With SP1 installed system detected all 8GB memory

LD

Fanfold Paper
lolwyn

It works?! I thought 32bit OS can only detect upto 3GB of Ram...And I also thought this laptop can only support upto 4GB of Max ram...

Community SuperMod
bananaman

32-bit Vista can usually detect how much RAM is installed, but it can only use around 3GB.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
ChrisFong1

Bananaman is correct.

This is because "Windows Vista with SP1 reports how much physical memory installed on your computer. All versions of Windows NT-based operating systems before Windows Vista Service SP1 report how much memory available to the operating system. This change in Windows Vista SP1 is a reporting change only."

Below is found from Microsoft website:

For Windows Vista to use all 4 GB of memory on a computer that has 4 GB of memory installed, the computer must meet the following requirements:

• The chipset must support at least 8 GB of address space. Chipsets that have this capability include the following:
    • Intel 975X
    • Intel P965
    • Intel 955X on Socket 775
    • Chipsets that support AMD processors that use socket F, socket 940, socket 939, or socket AM2. These chipsets include any AMD socket and CPU combination in which the memory controller resides in the CPU.
  • The CPU must support the x64 instruction set. The AMD64 CPU and the Intel EM64T CPU support this instruction set.
  • The BIOS must support the memory remapping feature. The memory remapping feature allows for the segment of system memory that was previously overwritten by the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) configuration space to be remapped above the 4 GB address line. This feature must be enabled in the BIOS configuration utility on the computer. View your computer product documentation for instructions that explain how to enable this feature. Many consumer-oriented computers may not support the memory remapping feature. No standard terminology is used in documentation or in BIOS configuration utilities for this feature. Therefore, you may have to read the descriptions of the various BIOS configuration settings that are available to determine whether any of the settings enable the memory remapping feature.
  • An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.
Thus only around 3GB ram can be effectively used in Vista (32-bit).
Punch Card
dspeed

So, can a 64bit OS be installed and function w 8 gb?  I've put more memory than spec'd in every TP I ever had (4?)

I'm up for it.  Anybody?

Dave

A 100 people have bought these little gems for travel after seeing mine.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

dspeed wrote:

So, can a 64bit OS be installed and function w 8 gb?  I've put more memory than spec'd in every TP I ever had (4?)

I'm up for it.  Anybody?

Dave

A 100 people have bought these little gems for travel after seeing mine.

yes, you can get one stick of 4 gigs ram from newegg.com for around 129 dollars, there is a special sale going on.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
What's DOS?
f_specker

Just tried to upgrade my x200 to 8 gigs of RAM, and it did not work. It currently runs stable with 2 x 2GB.

These are the modules I tried:

Corsair ValueSelect 4GB SO-DIMM, DDR3-1066

CM3X4GSD1066

Laptop beeps when before POSTing: 1 short, break, 3 short, break, 3 short, break, 1 short.

No matter in what combination (2 x 4GB, 1 x 4GB, 1 x 4GB + 1 x 2GB), as soon as at least 1 4GB module is present it does not boot anymore. I also tried different BIOS versions (1.07, 1.10, 2.02, 2.06, 3.07, 3.13 and 3.14), with no success.

Model: x200

Type: 7458-AH8

Any chance of getting them to run?