Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't switch primary and secondary monitors on ThinkPad - Fn+F7 no longer works either

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎04-02-2011 by
Modified ‎04-02-2011 by
(2,886 Views)

Can't switch primary and secondary monitors on ThinkPad - Fn+F7 no longer works either

Question

After upgrading the Thinkvantage productivity center I can no longer switch my primary monitor.  My secondary monitor works, but only in the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor." mode.  If I try to click on the "Use this device as the primary monitor." button from the control panel it just blanks out the monitor and switches to my primary monitor again.

At the same time I lost the ability to use Fn+f7.  Pushing on this combination has no effect.  Similarly if I go to the productivity center and chose Device Configuration / Select display settings nothing happens.  It seems like the productivity center upgrade broke whatever program is in charge of changing monitors. 

Answer

Presentation Director is responsible for Fn+F7 combination, so as a first step in recovering this functionality, download and reinstall this application from the Lenovo support site. http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67364

If updating Presentation Director does not restore the functionality, note the other application and driver prerequisities in the installation notes below.

Presentation Director Associated instructions:

Installation instructions

Notes:

Contributors