Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
saberman

Cannot Create Recovery Media

I am trying to create a second bootable recovery USB flash drive to a Lenovo X201 with Windows 7 Premium x64 installed as I am sure that when I will need the bootable recovery USB flash drive the first one will fail.

When I click on the Lenovo_Recovery partition I get the dialog box that offvers:
Create Recovery Media

Recove Drive Space

I click on Create Recovery Media and get a dialog box that says:

You can have only one copy of the Microsoft Windows operating system.

The Product Recovery Media Creator will exit now.

How do I get around this bug?

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

Re: Cannot Create Recovery Media

This is not  bug.Its a licensing thing put by Microsoft.Have you tried using the complete image backup in windows 7?In that way you can create a system image and store it in an external media

You might also want to create a "system repair disc" in order to use the recovery tools provided by Microsoft.The System image which you will save in the external media can be restored using this disc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Create-a-system-repair-disc

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Token Ring
saberman

>This is not  bug.Its a licensing thing put by Microsoft

This makes no sense.  Had I created the image recovery on DVDs I could make as many copies of the DVDs as I wanted to.  The recovery image itself is locked to the BIOS and I assume to the serial number of the machine.

There is a Windows Home Premium license key on the bottom of the machine.  That can be used to install Windows Home Premium from any Windows Home Premium installation DVD.

What is in the recover media that is so special you can not back it up?

>using the complete image backup in windows 7

I don't wan to backup the machine -- I want to be able to restore it to the factory state if I decide at some time in the future to give it to someone or to sell it.

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

Have you made the product recovery media? If you have not made any and are unable to do so you need to contact support

I was only trying to explain about the licensing issues when a PC comes preloaded with Windows.If you have problem with that you need to go and question Microsoft not me.This is only a peer to peer support forum.

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

saberman wrote:

>This is not  bug.Its a licensing thing put by Microsoft

This makes no sense.  Had I created the image recovery on DVDs I could make as many copies of the DVDs as I wanted to.  The recovery image itself is locked to the BIOS and I assume to the serial number of the machine.

There is a Windows Home Premium license key on the bottom of the machine.  That can be used to install Windows Home Premium from any Windows Home Premium installation DVD.

What is in the recover media that is so special you can not back it up?

>using the complete image backup in windows 7

I don't wan to backup the machine -- I want to be able to restore it to the factory state if I decide at some time in the future to give it to someone or to sell it.

You can create another set of recovery media by restoring your entire laptop to the factory condition through the rescue and recovery console. But for every factory restore you can create only one copy of the recovery media.

The serial number on the bottom of the laptop can not be used to activate any Windows Home Premium installation DVD, this is an OEM key. Your OS is activated by the Volume License Key, so it is already activated when it is installed.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

lead_org wrote:

You can create another set of recovery media by restoring your entire laptop to the factory condition through the rescue and recovery console.

My understanding is that this isn't possible with the newer recovery partitions, since W7. Have you actually done this and been able to create another set? It would  be interesting to know.

Thanks

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

lead_org

andyP wrote:

lead_org wrote:

You can create another set of recovery media by restoring your entire laptop to the factory condition through the rescue and recovery console.

My understanding is that this isn't possible with the newer recovery partitions, since W7. Have you actually done this and been able to create another set? It would  be interesting to know.

Thanks

maybe that is the case with the new W7, none of the Thinkpads i have is installed with the W7 from the factory.

Regards,

Jin Li

Token Ring
saberman

>You can create another set of recovery media by restoring your entire laptop to the factory condition through the

>rescue and recovery console.

No you can't.

Unfortunately, the rescue and recovery console does not restore the recovery partition.

Which means that if you recofigure the hard drive after creating the recovery medium it will not return it to the factory condition.  IOW, the recovery medium is not actually a full recovery.

Lenovo should make that very clear.  There isn't any way to restore the machine to the factory condition once you create recovery medium.  In addition, if you delete the Lenovo recovery partition there isn't any way to recover it using the recovery medium.

The only way to be able to restore the machine to the factory condition is to use a third party tool to image the drive before booting the system for the first time. 

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Recovery media created from a system itself, or issued by Lenovo, will restore the system to factory setting including creating the service partition(s). The only ultilty which will probably be missing is the pre-installed test version of Office.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

lead_org

the Office can be downloaded from:

www.microsoft.com/office/backup <--- this is the MLK version of Office that is installed on Thinkpads.

Regards,

Jin Li