Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
LC21
Accepted Solution

Chassis Crack on X220 - covered under warranty?

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone, a crack in the chassis has recently appeared on my X220. It is in the palm rest area starting beside the lower right corner of the trackpad and extends to the bottom edge of the palm rest. Background info, I'm a university student so I have my X220 with me during the day. It's kept inside a padded laptop compartment in my Lenovo branded backpack between classes.

Link to picture

Now, I was wondering if this is covered by my warranty which expires August of this year. If it is covered, could I just go to an authorized service provider and have them do a quick swap of the palm rest?

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Chassis Crack on X220 - covered under warranty?

I suggest you to get the laptop check with service center as it is still in warranty.

However, physical damage does not cover into warranty unless you have accidental damage protection cover for your product.

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Fanfold Paper
StrikeX2

I got my x220 for less than 3 months and I just got that exact same crack today. Except it is on the left side of the touchpad. I heard warranty isn't actually covering this, but this is clearly not an issue with misuse if multiple people on different forums are getting cracks in relatively the same locations. I'm a college student, spent a lot of time saving up for this machine and for all the durability and "military testing" that bas been put in to this machine, it certainly isn't all that durable as Lenovo claims it to be. What can I do about this?

Punch Card
elinoir

[ Edited ]

Hi StrikeX2,

I am pursuing a aimilar issue with IBM (who deal with warranty) here in the Netherlands. My Thinkpad appears to be having the same problem as the X220s with a crack in the palmrest. Given the number of posts on various forums it seems to be common in at least couple models. Like you, I had to save money to get what I thought was a high quality product - very disappointed.

I think the official way to try and get this sorted is to phone the number in the warranty info, in my experience they will ask you to email photos. The response I received was that this was ' wear and tear / damage' with no report of how they reached that conclusion. I have now written a letter based on sample letters from Dutch legal advice. I am asking for repair or refund as Dutch law (and certainly UK if not US law) states that if a defect occurs within a few months it can be assumed that the defect was there at purchase - it is then up to the manufacturer to prove that it was not and that the laptop was subject to improper use. I have yet to hear back but I will post the reply when I get it, as this is not warranty but purchasing rights they may refer me to Lenovo UK - where I actually bought the machine. Depending on the response, my next step would be to take it to a small claims court (well the Dutch equivalent - I am English but luckily I have a very helpful Dutch friend!).

Let us know how you get on.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,235
Solutions: 1,324

[ Edited ]

the crack in that region of the X220 is quite common, i have seen quite a number of them and my X220 is probably going to have one very soon.

It is probably a factor of type of corner it employs, amount of material used in the corner, whether the corner is reinforced and all that. Also, the plastic dimples on the top of the screen exactly stress part of the palmrest, and it in my opionion is one of the major factor that causes cracking in this area. 

Military testing doesn't really pick up on these, as the type of testing may NOT stress this part of palmrest in such way that may cause cracking. After all this is not like testing submarine, ships, or airplanes....

But if you talk to the customer advocate through escalation, you should be able to get more leeway on this.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
jiv
802.11n
jiv

[ Edited ]

lead_org wrote:

It is probably a factor of type of corner it employs, amount of material used in the corner, whether the corner is reinforced and all that. Also, the plastic dimples on the top of the screen exactly stress part of the palmrest, and it in my opionion is one of the major factor that causes cracking in this area. 

It sounds alot like a design flaw, which should (in my opinion) be covered by warranty. Given the number of people experiencing this on fairly new machines, it is definitely not normal wear and tear.

I have not experienced this issue yet, but am a little worried that I will very soon.

Punch Card
elinoir

I have just heard that my Thinkpad (T520) has been approved for warranty repair to a palmrest crack and a loose lcd surround bezel. I had sent a letter disputing the first verdict that it was not covered by warranty (to IBM NL) and I received a response from Bratislava that they needed more pictures, followed a day later by a response that it would be covered.

I will let you know how this goes, they pick it up on the 18th April...

Fanfold Paper
itbauer

Hey Guys,

i have the same discussion in the German Community.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Serie-ThinkPad-Notebooks-inkl/X220-Produktionsfehler-gt-Displayrahmen-...

I bought the X220 3 month ago and did get the crack also..  After i did some researches, i found the failor. It is a construction failer of the case and easy to check !! Just look trough the Laptop and you see, that the small rubbers (suppose to hold up the lid to the base) are standing in the air. So thats why the Plastik lid damages the palm (8 Spots) an puts pressure on it.

After open up the hell at the Customer service, i did get the repair in warranty !

Hopefully i recieve my Notebook on Monday from UPS...

Regards

Chris

Punch Card
elinoir

Thanks Chris,

Do you know if they are fixing anything to stop it happening again? rather than just replacing the palmrest?

Fanfold Paper
itbauer

So i recieved now my X220 from the main Service-Repair Service Teleplan and as I allready mentioned, they just changed the palmrest. The Cover still damages the Palmrest. Even now, without using ist, just unpacked the Notebook, i have allready the two spots outside on the palmrest. Iam totaly disapointed from the "service" from Lenovo. For an Business notebook it is really a shame to have such miserable service to the customer.  

But now i send it back to my dealer, and order the T420s. I checked the T420s in a store and what did i found on the palmrest?? Yes the same **bleep**ing problem, but without spots. The cover ist rubbing against each other and grinds the colour off. I really cant belive ist, that cheaper Produkts like the L Series doesnt have such problems...because other opening system ... :catfrustrated: