Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
elinoir

Re: Chassis Crack on X220 - covered under warranty?

I should have mentioend mine is actually a T520, and it seems to be a problem in all T models given descriptions of cracks by others.

(mine also has the spots...  but maybe we are talking about different things. I will try and post a picture later - before it gets picked up tomorrow).

Punch Card
elinoir

[ Edited ]

The process of getting my thinkpad repaired was longer than expected, but all seems well. Initially it came back from the repair centre in Frankfurt still with the crack. I had two problems so it looked like they had only attempted one of them. Off it went again the next day and came back yesterday minus the crack! :smileyvery-happy:

They have replaced the palmrest, but it looks slightly different. The cracked palmrest was completely moulded as one unit on the top and down about 4mm or so on the side. My crack went from the top (horizontal) down the side (vertical). I have some pictures here. The new palmrest appears to have more of a veneer of some sort on the top - either stuck on top of a single moulded unit or the sides are a different material to the top, stuck together. I am not sure how different this really is, but the optimist in me wonders if this is an attempt to solve the problem... :smileywink:

The bumps on the screen surround remain and on some of the pictures of the crack you can just about see where the one in the corner has rubbed on the palmrest (after only a few weeks of non-intensive use and only one or two trips out of the flat). The new palmrest already has some slight evidence of rubbing, so I guess I wait and see.

Once the decision was made to repair my unit under warranty, and it went the second time, my experience has been ok with Lenovo / IBM. There were a few problems with contact but all is done now (hopefully) and the Lenovo / IBM rep in Bratislava was always very helpful.

Punch Card
Amphibulus

I have the same issue, my thinkpad start to break from everywhere. That was my last thinkpad.

ThinkPad X220, I7 2620M, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 160GB SSD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, Bluethoot, Cam, Win 7 pro 64, BIOS: 1.17, Model: 4286-CTO, Fabrication date: 07/11
Punch Card
Amphibulus

[ Edited ]

crack frame.jpg

Here's my crack. Maybe one morning my laptop will be split in 2 pieces, two computer for the price of 1!

ThinkPad X220, I7 2620M, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 160GB SSD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, Bluethoot, Cam, Win 7 pro 64, BIOS: 1.17, Model: 4286-CTO, Fabrication date: 07/11